Chapter 1. The Wind of Change

Five years later

The rays of the setting sun warmed the sleeping cemetery as Ann walked along the flower beds and gravestones. Guided by a gentle breeze, the plants swung toward her in a silent greeting. Today, Ann wore a gray cloak, her blonde hair freely falling on her shoulders. In her hand, she carried a bright red peony.

Coming to a stop at the birch tree with the rose bush beneath, Ann noticed the tiny flower buds. They were closed shut as they were too young to bloom in mid-spring. But their time would come later. She exhaled a sigh. Sadly, she was in a place where human time had expired.

Sitting on the ground, Ann found herself staring at a round gray stone beneath the bush. It bore a white inscription: Emily Storm. She touched the stone, its rough and warm texture remaining the only connection to her mother after that cursed day in the mountains. The day when she dared to test her power.

"I'm so sorry, Mom," Ann's voice trembled as she spoke. "You warned me about the consequences, and it was my magic that made the stones slippery. It's all my fault... If only I could turn back time, I would never use my Gift so carelessly!"

The wind brushed the leaves of the trees above her head, causing them to whisper like judgmental gossipers. Placing the peony on the stone, Ann closed her eyes, a tear sliding down her cheek. "I haven't used my Gift since then, and I never will. I promise."

Wiping her eyes, Ann stood up. The sun was leaning towards the west, and the air was growing colder. It was best to head home before Uncle Greg noticed her absence. After losing her mother, he had taken her in, and the last thing she wanted was to cause him worry.

At the gates stood a male figure cloaked in black. Ann almost approached him before recognizing the man she had last seen four years ago.

"Annie?!" he exclaimed as his gray eyes met hers. The dimples on his shaved cheeks deepened, revealing familiar traits of her old friend.

"John," she breathed out in disbelief. Since their paths had diverged after high school, they had kept in touch through regular letters. Ann referred to them as pen-buddies. Meeting him face-to-face felt strange. "You never mentioned you would come. What happened?"

"Today is the day." He moved closer and embraced her.

The day. It had been five years since her mother's death in the mountains. Yet, each time the anniversary approached, a whirlwind of painful memories engulfed Ann. "I'm glad you still remember."

John smiled. "Of course. How could I forget your birthday?"

She couldn't share his joy. It wasn't a day for celebration, not for her. Ann lowered her gaze. "I wish I had never been born."

"Don't say that." He took her hand, his touch warm and reassuring. "Emily... your mom, I mean, she was a wonderful woman. Her death was a tragedy for all of us. But it wasn't your fault."

Except it was. Ann blinked back tears, determined to change the subject before she succumbed to self-blame and started crying on his shoulder. "What are you doing here?"

"Well, the cemetery is quiet at this time of day, and..." he began, his explanation sounding clumsy.

"I mean here, in Mountville," she interrupted. "You wrote that you became a successful investor in the capital. You were so proud of it."

"I still am," he agreed. "But I returned home last night."

"That's great! How long will you stay?"

He gave her a cheerful look. "Hopefully, forever. Now, my life is here."

"Why?" She asked with concern in her voice. "Is everything alright?"

"Yes, better than ever."

Ann regarded him with suspicion. Since their high school days, she had remained in this town while John had left to seek a better life in the capital, Middle Lake City. He had grown up in an orphanage, and unlike her, he had no ties to this forgotten town. It seemed unlikely that he would return without a compelling reason. "People don't make such choices out of the blue."

"Okay, you caught me," he admitted, his teasing smile only heightening her anxiety. "I came back because I wanted to see you again."

Ann chuckled nervously. "So you returned because of me... Should I be worried?"

"What worries?" he replied, sounding slightly offended. "In Middle Lake, I was offered an excellent job opportunity. They pay more if you agree to work in their branch in a small town. Little did they know it's my hometown, and I feel comfortable living and working here. Today, I just wanted to stop by and say 'Hi!' That's it."

Ann smiled apologetically. How silly it was to bring up his long-lost affection? It had been a while, and John wasn't that boy who had been infatuated with her. Yes, five years ago, before the tragedy with her mom, she had grown tired of him. But everything had changed since then. In her grief, John had been the only person by her side, even on her worst days. Eventually, they became close friends. Remembering this, Ann relaxed. "Sorry. I just... I don't celebrate it, as you know. And I didn't expect to see you."

John chuckled. "I always loved your modesty. You're nothing like the sassy girls from the city."

"Please, stop," Ann raised her hand, signaling for him to stop the inappropriate flattery. They were still in the cemetery, and she had to admit, his attempts to comfort her were starting to work. She just didn't want to continue their reunion in this place. "I bet you have so many things to tell me. Why don't you join us for dinner tonight?"

"And you say you don't celebrate!"

"It's just for me, Uncle Greg, and a couple of friends," she explained.

"Well, for me, that sounds like good company," John said with a smile.

Ann took him by the elbow, and they walked along the street, attracting curious looks from passersby. In small towns like Mountville, people always found small things to create rumors and gossip about with their neighbors, such as a young unmarried woman walking hand in hand with a man. But Ann didn't care about what they might think.

John gave her a worried look. "Won't your uncle mind me? I mean, it's a family thing..."

"Come on, he always liked you. You're practically family, so please stop talking nonsense."

"Okay, from now on, I'll only say wise and meaningful things," John declared, trying to maintain a serious expression. "Deal?"

"Deal," Ann laughed. Oh, how she had missed him.

~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~ ☆ ~ • ~

If you enjoy this story, please support it with your vote!

Thank you! 💖💖💖