Chapter 23. A Whim of Nature

Their quick steps reverberated through the marble floors of the luxurious hotel. A magnificent crystal chandelier shimmered in the center of the spacious hall, casting a dazzling display of light. Positioned near the stairs was a reception desk crafted from polished dark-brown wood. Behind it, they spotted the receptionist, a young man with long black hair slicked back with gel.

As they approached their target, Urchin turned to Theo. "I will play the role of a 'good' guardian."

Theo nodded, unfazed by the prospect of assuming the role of a 'bad' guardian. He had already taken on this persona multiple times throughout the course of their investigation, with the doctor in Mountville, Marie, and even Ann. This time, he hoped his accusations would finally yield results.

Urchin beckoned to the receptionist, who approached with a sense of alertness evident in his emerald eyes. "How can I assist you, officers?" he inquired.

"Lieutenant Harrison," Urchin introduced himself. "And yes, we hope you can be of assistance. May we know your name?"

"Anthony Miller."

"Very well," Urchin replied with a smile. "So, Anthony, here's the situation – two months ago, a man stayed in one of your rooms. We need to verify if he was indeed here."

"Of course," Anthony responded, leaning down and retrieving a thick registration ledger from beneath his desk. "We've had numerous guests this season. What was his name?"

"Gregory Storm," Urchin answered.

"Let me check," Anthony said, his gaze dropping to the book as his hand trembled slightly. The visible nervousness did not escape notice. Could he be feeling guilty? After a minute of flipping through the pages, Anthony spoke up. "Yes, he did stay here. Here is his signature."

Theo narrowed his eyes, studying Anthony intently. "Are you certain it's his handwriting?"

Anthony nodded. "I remember Greg. He was a pleasant and polite guest. He always chooses to stay here during his visits. Has something happened to him?"

"Yes. Someone murdered him," Theo stated plainly, causing Anthony to shiver. This was the reaction he had hoped for, so Theo pressed on. "And if you provide false information, we have the authority to arrest you. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir," Anthony replied, fear filling his eyes. "But I haven't done anything wrong."

Urchin's voice softened, dripping like syrup. "Please, don't be nervous. We've simply discovered a discrepancy, and we need your help."

The receptionist swallowed, his anxiety palpable. "I'll do whatever you ask."

"Good," Theo said, reaching into his chest pocket and retrieving a small piece of paper – an order blank issued in this hotel lobby two months ago. Theo and Urchin had obtained this paper from the post office prior to their visit. It was potential evidence as it contained the late Gregory Storm's signature. Placing the paper on the registration ledger, Theo could clearly see that the signatures did not match. Hmm...

There were two possible explanations. The first was that someone had forged the signatures in the hotel ledger, indicating that Gregory had actually stayed elsewhere but had come to this hotel solely to ask the receptionist to send a parcel. However, this scenario didn't seem very plausible. The second option, which Urchin had suggested, was that someone had forged Gregory's signature to send the parcel. This would have allowed the murderer to deliver their weapon and eliminate any traces. It was a clever and almost perfect crime. However, like any crime involving witnesses, it could be unraveled. They simply needed to locate the person who had sent the parcel.