Chapter 24. A Tricky Role

The renovation officially began in the morning, keeping everyone busy. After tearing off the heavy, dark wallpapers, Ann sought solace in the garden to cool off.

To her surprise, John was there, stationed at the gazebo where they had piled the garbage. He sipped his mint tea, his gaze fixed on the mansion slowly transforming into a school. Today, John had traded his expensive suit for simple trousers and a white cotton shirt. His hands bore marks of white paint from his morning task of painting the facade. Ann felt grateful that he had come. Despite his initial unease following their breakup, they had managed to remain friends.

She approached him, a smile playing on her lips. "Taking a break?"

"Hopefully, not for too long," he replied, his gaze holding a predatory edge that caused Ann's heart to skip a beat.

Is he referring to our breakup? Does he still hold a grudge? Ann pondered, knowing John's tendency to keep his insecurities hidden. She decided it was futile to ask such a question, as he rarely discussed his feelings. Instead, she chose to disregard his remark.

"How is the work going?" she asked casually. "I know you're not accustomed to manual labor. Your work usually involves using your brain."

He chuckled. "That's true. But I do regular outdoor exercises to stay in shape. Now I'm just combining it with something useful for both of us."

"What a smart strategy," she remarked.

"I have many of them."

Curiosity sparked in her eyes. "Like what?"

He simply smiled, leaving her question unanswered. "Time will show. By the way, have you heard anything from our friend Theo?"

Ann sighed, glancing at her bright-yellow time crystal. Theo was supposed to have returned the previous night, but he hadn't. She had spent the morning staring at the horizon, hoping for any sign of his arrival. Eventually, her friends came to help with the renovations, and she focused on her work inside the house, trying to distract herself from the worry. However, it was already two in the afternoon, and there was still no sign of him. "He should be back any minute," she reassured herself.

"Oh, Annie. If I were you, I would never trust a man like him."

She raised her eyes, anger flashing in them. "You are not me."

"I'm just trying to be supportive... as a friend," he added, his last words dripping with disgust.

"Thank you, John," she said, softening her tone. She realized he was already on edge, and it was best not to push his patience. "I'm grateful that you've stayed by my side and offered your help. I truly appreciate it."

He smiled widely. "It's not difficult for me. If you ever need anything –"

A sudden gust of wind cut off his words, and a massive shadow engulfed the backyard. Ann looked up, shielding her eyes. Her heart leaped with joy as she recognized the blue dragon.

Rei flew directly above their heads and landed near the stables. Without a second thought, Ann hurried to meet him.

* * * * *

Theo dismounted his dragon and made his way into the stable, ensuring to close the door behind him. He had spotted Ann in the garden from above. And there was John, lurking nearby, waiting for the opportune moment to poison her mind with his deceitful lies like a venomous serpent.

To keep John at bay, Theo knew he had to reach Ann in the stables first and keep a watchful eye on the closed door. John's Invisibility Gift made him a dangerous adversary. He had already used his power to spy on them once, and Theo couldn't allow himself to be fooled again.