Chapter 8. Beyond the Mountains

In a dress shop, Ann twirled in front of the full-length mirror. The lovely peach-colored dress Marie had chosen for tonight accentuated the upper line of her décolletage and gracefully covered her knees. Her braided hair, adorned with delicate cream roses, added a touch of elegance to her appearance.

Marie approached, her hands clapping together in awe like a schoolgirl about to attend her first ball. "Darling, you look absolutely stunning."

Ann responded with a look of uncertainty. "Do you think it's too much? I mean, it's just an evening with friends."

Marie rolled her eyes playfully. "Why don't you just wear a potato sack on your head?"

"I can't do that. It would ruin my hair," Ann teased her.

"True," Mary agreed with a chuckle. "Annie, this dress is perfect for you. It's not overly provocative but still exudes a charmingly sexy vibe. It's exactly what you need to catch the attention of that hot detective."

"Marie!" Ann's cheeks flushed instantly. Marie had always been frank, even before she got married, but now she seemed to have no boundaries. "I'm not flirting with him! Let's not forget, he's here to do his job."

"Whatever," Marie waved her hand dismissively.

The most uncomfortable part was that Marie was actually right in her assessment – all Ann wanted tonight was to make an impression on Theo. Ever since she first laid eyes on him in the town plaza, she had been drawn to him. There was something about him that made her heart flutter, from his strong shoulders encased in a black guardian uniform to his fiery hair. But it wasn't just his appearance; there was a certain confidence that radiated from him, melting away all her anxiety and guilt. From the moment their eyes met, she knew he was the only person who could uncover the truth about her uncle's disappearance.

The only issue was that when she saw him, Ann found herself unable to utter a single word. Thankfully, Marie had intervened and offered her assistance. Without her friend's encouragement, Ann would never have mustered the courage to approach him, and she doubted Theo would have even noticed her in the bustling crowd.

"I think he likes you," Marie said, breaking Ann out of her thoughts.

"What makes you think that?"

Marie gently placed her hands on Ann's shoulders, embracing her from behind. Her warm charcoal eyes met Ann's gaze in the mirror, full of attentiveness. "Trust me. When a man looks at you like that, he's completely into you."

Like what? Ann swallowed her question, deciding to trust Marie's experience in matters of love. However, even if Ann had the opportunity to get closer to Theo, it wouldn't be appropriate to flirt with him. After all, he was here for a different purpose – to investigate the tragedy. Since Marie didn't believe it was a murder, Ann brought up another reason. "You seem to have forgotten about John."

Marie shrugged nonchalantly. "Well, John is a great guy, but... he's not the one you truly love."

Ann narrowed her eyes. "It's interesting how quickly you've changed your mind. Just two months ago, you helped him plan his proposal!"

With a sigh, Marie released Ann's shoulders and walked over to the long row of dresses, busying herself with fixing them. Marie had a habit of organizing things when she felt nervous. "I have to admit, I was wrong. You see, back then, I was thinking of the younger version of you. In high school, you and John were very close. Then, it turned into a long-distance friendship. So I assumed that when John proposed, those old feelings would resurface. But I guess I was just romanticizing everything. Now it's clear to me that you're not in love with him."