Chapter 19. A Rose by Any Other Name

When Ann opened her eyes, darkness enveloped her. The pouring rain relentlessly battered against the window, causing the glass to rattle. Sitting up, she massaged her throbbing head, gradually realizing that she was on a sofa in the living room of a guest house. Clad in her nightgown, she was draped in a flimsy blanket. Then it all came rushing back to her.

Theo! Her heart pounding, she rose to her feet and surveyed her surroundings. Her eyes struggled to adjust to the dimness, but occasional flashes of lightning illuminated the room, aiding her in comprehending that she was utterly alone. Panic surged within her. Where is he?

She searched both bedrooms and the kitchen, but her efforts proved fruitless. With trepidation, she gingerly pushed open the bathroom door, only to be met with emptiness once again.

Ann made her way to the closet and stumbled upon a raincoat that had once belonged to her uncle Greg. It was several sizes too large for her, but she slipped it over her nightgown, determined to brave the elements.

Stepping out into the garden, she was greeted by the rain's generous downpour, which drenched the plants and transformed their natural light into a mosaic of blurred, multicolored dots. Clutching the oversized coat, she pondered her next move, her mind consumed with worry. The wide sleeves allowed rainwater to cascade from her wrists to her elbows, but Ann paid no mind to her soaked state. All that mattered was finding Theo.

* * * * *

Theo was in the Greenhouse, surrounded by the intoxicating fragrances of shimmering exotic flowers. In this very place, John had chosen to propose to this remarkable woman, Annie. At the thought of her, Theo couldn't help but sigh. Ann remained oblivious to the fact that his fall in the abyss was all part of a test for her. That morning, upon discovering the mountaintop, he had devised a plan to challenge Ann. He was fueled by the evidence he had found – the damning bottle of antidote. Accepting that she was involved in criminal activities was difficult, but it was an integral part of his job.

The plan was simple yet calculated. Theo intended to confront Ann, ensuring she was aware that he was on the verge of arresting her. Then, he would deliberately fall from the cliff, with Rei positioned to catch him. From there, he would covertly monitor Ann's actions, patiently waiting for her to make a mistake. The intention was for Ann to believe that the detective investigating the murder case had mysteriously vanished, causing her to lower her guard. And when the opportune moment arose, Theo would apprehend her.

Despite Rei's initial reluctance, Theo insisted on practicing the fall multiple times to ease the dragon's apprehension. However, Ann managed to accomplish the impossible. As Theo descended in front of her, she conjured a tornado that lifted him back to the safety of the cliff. The force of the wind was so powerful that Rei had to seek refuge in a nearby cave to avoid being dashed against the rocks. Unfortunately, Ann's extraordinary display of power took a toll on her health, and she fell ill.

Theo gently caressed a rosebud, cradling it in his palm, its delicate nature mirroring that of the woman he was slowly falling in love with. He knew he had to let go of Ann. Otherwise, her health might deteriorate further and his own reputation could suffer irreparable damage. It was time to acknowledge that Urchin had been right all along – this investigation was futile. It was increasingly likely that Gregory Storm's death was nothing more than a tragic accident, as everyone had insisted.

If not for the raging storm outside, caused ironically by Ann herself, Theo might have returned to Middle Lake tonight. So, Theo resolved to revisit the crime scene one last time. He had already thoroughly examined the greenhouse earlier in the day but had found nothing suspicious. However, if there was indeed an exotic snake responsible for Gregory Storm's fatal bite, it could have made its way into the greenhouse. If Ann's claim was accurate and the snake originated from Tennia, it was plausible that someone had sent it along with new plants. Not intentionally, though.