Chapter 14. Imprinted in Nude

The gentle morning sun illuminated the tiny kitchen as Ann stepped inside, a smile spreading across her face. A brand-new drawing album lay on the table, accompanied by a set of colored pencils. How sweet! Clearly, Peggy had thoughtfully brought them first thing in the morning.

Taking a seat in the comfortable chair, Ann tucked her feet beneath her. Today, she had opted for a soft cotton shirt she had discovered in a guest bedroom closet. It served as her makeshift nightgown, and she saw no need to rush into changing into her usual tight dress.

Theo was absent, and there was no telling when he would return. Last night, he had mentioned contacting his friend in Middle Lake city. Even with his swift dragon, Rei, it could still take until evening. With this newfound time, Ann planned to make the most of it by creating a new drawing for him. Afterward, she would begin preparing for her confession.

As Ann had read before, voluntary confessions often resulted in less severe punishment for criminals. The deaths she had caused were not intentional, so if Theo confirmed her good behavior during the arrest, she might receive a reasonable sentence. I'll tell him everything today, she decided.

Engrossed in her thoughts, Ann picked up a black pencil and allowed her hand to glide effortlessly across the smooth paper. The familiar features of the snake, etched so vividly in her mind, began to take shape.

Lost in her creative flow, she remained oblivious to the sound of the door opening behind her. It was only when she heard the water running in the bathroom that she realized someone else was in the house. Assuming it was Peggy coming in for cleaning, Ann decided not to interrupt her work.

With a yellow pencil in hand, Ann added intricate details to her drawing. Once satisfied, she placed the pencil down and admired the finished picture. The black snake, with its yellow nose and belly, seemed to stare back at her from the paper.

In the midst of the silence, Ann couldn't ignore the fact that the water in the bathroom continued to run. The sound had been lingering in the background for quite some time, which struck her as odd. Did Peggy forget to turn it off? Holding onto her sketch album tightly, Ann rose from her comfortable chair and made her way towards the bathroom, determined not to misplace her precious drawings again.

As she approached the bathroom door, the sound of running water abruptly ceased. The door was slightly ajar, and steam billowed out, saturating the air. A sense of doubt crept into Ann's chest. If Peggy was taking a hot shower, why would she do so in this particular bathroom? Could something have gone wrong in the main house? There was only one way to find out.

Pushing the door open, Ann stood frozen. Amidst the clouds of steam stood a completely naked man. Water droplets glistened on his muscular physique and his fiery-orange hair. Startled by her presence, Theo swiftly grabbed a towel and wrapped it around his hips. His blue eyes sparkled with amusement. "I thought we had already discussed boundaries," he teased.

Ann could only stare at him, completely shocked and unable to utter a single word.

"Has something happened?" Theo asked, stepping closer. The warmth radiating from his body sent a tingling sensation across Ann's skin.

Overwhelmed, Ann instinctively covered her eyes with her free hand, no longer wanting to look at him. Her voice trembled as she forced herself to speak. "I thought it was Peggy. I'm sorry."

"I arrived ten minutes ago. Didn't you see me?"

Consumed by embarrassment, Ann felt the urge to retreat to her room and never emerge again. However, she had to explain herself first. "No. I was completely engrossed in my drawing."