Chapter 12. Repentance

The warmth emanating from the fireplace was relaxing. Ann cradled a steaming cup of chamomile tea, savoring its comforting aroma. Curiously, she always found this quaint cottage for guests to be much cozier than her uncle's grand mansion. Here, she had a sense of safety that eluded her elsewhere. Perhaps it was because Theo was nearby. After their heartfelt conversation on the way home, all the misunderstandings had dissipated, and Ann no longer doubted his intentions.

However, the embarrassing incident in her bedroom had left her on edge. So, Ann was grateful when Theo suggested she stay in the guest house tonight. It was a sensible idea; after all, he was a guardian and could protect her in case anyone posed a threat.

Here, by the cozy fireplace, Ann poured her heart out to Theo, recounting the entire story from the night of her last birthday dinner to the moment she received the news of her uncle's untimely demise. She divulged every detail except for one crucial piece of information: her act of taking the lone bottle of snake bite antidote. The bottle that could have saved Uncle Greg's life.

The truth weighed heavily on Ann's conscience. She believed herself to be the cause of Uncle Greg's tragic fate, making her the very murderer Theo had been searching for. Perhaps this was the punishment she deserved – to feel this way was unbearable. As she finished her story, a thought crossed her mind – maybe she would end up in prison, but at least she would finally be free from the burden of guilt. Ann longed to find the courage to whisper words of repentance.

"I'm deeply sorry for your loss," Theo responded, his voice filled with genuine sympathy. "I lost my sister many years ago, and the pain remains just as raw. Especially when I think about the things I could have done to protect her."

"She is the reason why you became a guardian, isn't it?"

Her words left Theo visibly surprised. "Yes, that loss is precisely why I became a guardian," he admitted. "But how did you know?"

"It's quite evident, detective," she replied, offering him a faint smile. "I once came across a theory that suggests all the truly good and compassionate individuals are the ones who have experienced loss. But instead of allowing their pain and anger to consume them, they choose to make a difference. They strive to live their lives in a way that prevents such tragedies from occurring, making this dark world a better place to exist."

Theo remained silent, his gaze fixed on her, causing Ann's heart to race in her chest. Have I gone too deep?

"There's always something we could have done differently," she continued, gently touching his shoulder. "But we can't change our past. All we can do is try to forgive ourselves and become better people."

"Some people never even blame themselves to begin with," Theo responded, averting his eyes from her. "Alright, let's refocus on our investigation."

Gee, his ability to focus is supernatural. Ann gave him a nervous glance, half-expecting him to arrest her on the spot. Perhaps it was inevitable, but she wasn't prepared for it just yet. "What else would you like to know?" she asked, her voice trembling slightly.

"Why did you lock your room in the first place? It's a small town, and crime is rare, especially in this neighborhood."

"Uncle Greg had a rule about keeping our rooms locked, just in case," Ann explained. "He was always fearful of something due to his prophetic dreams. I suppose I grew accustomed to it over time."

"Alright. Who else knew about the spare key?" Theo's gaze bore into her, as if he could sense the guilt she struggled to express.

Ann took a deep breath to steady herself. "I don't know. Perhaps my friends. I often invited Marie over, and she witnessed me retrieving the key from the kitchen. But it doesn't make any sense. It couldn't have been her."