Chapter 2. The Last Dinner

In the dining room, Ann stood beside the large table. Peggy, the servant girl, had already arranged the plates and silver cutlery. Now, Ann helped polish the crystal glasses. Her assistance wasn't entirely necessary, but it gave her an excuse to remain close to the glass doors leading to the verandah.

Outside, her uncle Greg engaged in conversation with John. The men spoke while puffing on their cigars, their voices muffled by the thick glass doors. Ann could only observe them, attempting to decipher the topic of their discussion.

Uncle Greg, a portly man, sported a head of long gray hair that he brushed and tied into a tail, claiming it gave him a modern appearance. Perhaps he was correct, but at this moment, standing beside the youthful John, he appeared to be a centenarian.

Ann let out a sigh, her concern for her uncle weighing heavily on her mind. Uncle Greg, a successful florist and herbalist, had never married, much to her late mother's worries. Now, Ann was his sole family, and she genuinely fretted over his well-being. Despite his greatness and kind heart, Uncle Greg often became so engrossed in his work that he neglected basic necessities, like eating.

His business, being seasonal, allowed for idle winter days where he would sit in his office for hours, smoking cigars and meticulously planning his upcoming flower collection. This year, he had taken on the ambitious task of writing an encyclopedia on cultivating rare healing plants. Uncle Greg believed it was essential to share his unique approach, providing others with improved access to advanced herbal medicine.

Uncle Greg had dedicated his entire life to hard work, but his wealth was not the only thing he accumulated. He possessed a genuine love for helping others. When Ann and John graduated from high school, Uncle Greg generously supported John financially, covering the expenses for his first year of studying economics at the college in the capital city of Middle Lake. Uncle Greg always acknowledged that he hadn't been fortunate in finding a wife or having children, but he treated John as his own son.

"What have they been discussing for such a long time?" Ann pondered. Seizing the opportunity when Peggy, the servant, left the room, Ann cautiously moved closer to the doorframe, attempting to open it slightly. With luck, this would allow her to eavesdrop without being detected.

Her fingertips brushed against the cold doorknob just as the doorbell rang from across the room. Ann stood frozen in place.

"I'll get it!" Peggy exclaimed, rushing to answer the door.

With no other choice, Ann abandoned her eavesdropping attempt and made her way to greet the arriving guests.

Ann's friends, Marie and Elajio, were a newly married couple. Together, they radiated a lovely aura. Marie's long black hair was braided into a thick plait, and her charcoal eyes sparkled with a natural curiosity. Elajio, on the other hand, was a tall man with beautiful caramel-colored skin. His round glasses accentuated his intelligent eyes, making them stand out.

Ann warmly embraced both of them, leading them to the living room where they could relax on the plush sofas before dinner commenced.

Marie couldn't contain her excitement as she animatedly discussed their upcoming trip with Elajio. They planned it in a few weeks. Exploring the beauty of the seven Kingdoms had become their shared passion. With Elajio being a lawyer, Ann assumed their income allowed them to embark on such adventures.

"I hope to travel one day too," Ann interjected, seizing the moment when Marie paused. "To see the new places."

"Really?" Marie clapped her hands in awe. "Which place would you like to visit first?"