Chapter 15. A Cost of Healing

Theo moved along the narrow streets of Mountville, not paying attention to anyone. The morning excitement he had felt after his talk with Urchin had evaporated, much like the steam from his shower. What was Ann up to? He couldn't believe that she had accidentally run into him while he was naked. It had taken all of his stamina to act as if nothing had happened. But her embarrassment had seemed genuine, and Ann's sweet blush had a certain charm that almost made him kiss her.

Damn. Theo couldn't wait to resolve this case and gain some clarity about Ann. Being near her was too risky, and he didn't want to jeopardize the investigation due to his unprofessionalism. If John complained about the morning incident, Theo could be suspended, which would damage his reputation. In a worst-case scenario, he might never see Ann again.

He stopped by the red door of Marie's house, unsure of what to do next. Now that she was the main suspect, he could either spy on her or confront her directly with his accusations. Theo raised his hand to knock when he heard their voices growing louder behind the closed door. It was Marie shouting at Elajio in the hallway. How convenient.

Theo lowered his hand and glanced around. The street was deserted at this time of day, allowing him to eavesdrop as much as he liked. He leaned towards the keyhole, ready to listen in.

"I can't handle this any longer!" Marie yelled, causing goosebumps to form on Theo's skin. He had no idea what Elajio had done to deserve such a reaction from his wife, and now he felt sorry for the man.

"It was your idea," Elajio stated in a loud but confident tone. "To move here, then to pay the doctor. And now you're giving up?"

"Yes!" she cried. "I can't live with this guilt. It's unbearable. I must do something about it!"

"And what are you about to do exactly?"

In silence, Theo could hear his heart pounding. The phrases he had just heard twisted in his head. Guilt, pay the doctor... Or was it a bribe? Theo recalled what was in the late Gregory Storm's file – only a doctor's report stating that he died from heart failure caused by the snake potion. Could it be fake? If so, he could visit a local doctor and verify it.

Lost in his thoughts, he didn't notice the handle turning and the door opening. Marie stood at the threshold, her face turned towards the hallway. Thank goodness she hadn't seen him. Theo used the moment to compose himself and pretend he had just arrived.

"I'll be at Ann!" Marie announced to Elajio, then turned to Theo and froze. Her charcoal eyes were glossy from her recent meltdown.

"Morning," Theo mustered an apologetic smile. "Probably this isn't a good timing for a visit."

"It's okay," Marie replied in a gloomy voice.

Elajio stood behind her, but he didn't pay any attention to Theo. Visibly worried, he placed his palm on Marie's shoulder. "Let's talk first. Please."

"I'm sorry," she whispered and hurried down the stairs, her skirt rustling as she moved.

Elajio stood right in front of him, his jaw clenched.

"Women," Theo said, giving him a small smile. "Just give her some time, and she'll cool down."

Elajio frowned. "What are you doing here, detective? Is there anything I can do for you?"

"Actually, you can," Theo nodded, his brain working on a new theory of how to investigate his new lead. "I have a headache, probably due to the mountains and elevation change."

Elajio looked at him expectantly, likely trying to gauge how much of their drama Theo had overheard. It was better to leave as soon as possible before Elajio figured out Theo's plan.