Chapter 9. Two Halves

It wasn't difficult to locate Marie's house; it stood in the middle of a quiet street, boasting a red roof and a freshly painted white facade. Like the other mountain houses in the area, it was compact and unassuming. Theo approached the red door and rapped on it three times.

A man with round glasses and caramel-toned skin answered the door. Despite the heat, he was dressed in a long-sleeved green shirt and black pants. The apron with a flower pattern draped over his clothes added a touch of whimsy to his appearance. Judging by his attire, he was likely the chef for the evening, which meant he was Marie's husband.

Theo greeted him with a smile. "Good evening. You must be Elajio."

He nodded. "Indeed. And you must be Theodore, the detective."

"That's correct." Theo wasn't surprised his black guardian uniform revealed his identity. He extended his hand. "Pleasure to meet you. And please, call me Theo."

Elajio hastily shook Theo's hand before taking a step back into the house. "Please, come in. John will meet you in the living room." With that, he turned and hurried off to the kitchen, where a tantalizing aroma of tomatoes and basil filled the air from something simmering on the stove.

Theo entered the small hallway and closed the door behind him. His heart raced, knowing that he was about to face John. It was a clear indication that his common sense had failed him once again. Why do I keep getting involved with the wrong women? Setting aside the fact that Ann was a suspect, she was also engaged, and now Theo had to gather all his composure to maintain a professional demeanor. Taking a deep breath, he composed himself and entered the living room.

John appeared to be a man of refined taste. He stood by the window, clad in a bluish-gray suit and polished shoes, leisurely sipping brandy from a crystal glass. As Theo walked in, John turned, revealing his confident, clean-shaven face. From where Theo stood, he caught a whiff of John's expensive cologne.

"I've been expecting you, detective," John greeted.

"It's quite flattering to have all this attention. What if I start getting used to it?" Theo joked, attempting to lighten the mood.

However, John didn't crack a smile. Instead, he poured a glass of brandy for Theo and handed it to him without considering whether he would enjoy the drink. Theo accepted it graciously, inhaling the rich aroma of oak bark mingled with cherries. He suspected that the bottle of this brandy was worth more than his monthly salary, making it foolish not to give it a try. He took a sip, savoring its smooth taste, and wondered if John was truly wealthy or if this was simply his way of showing off.

"Delicious, isn't it?" John voiced Theo's thoughts. "I have quite a collection of brandy at home."

Curious to learn more about this man and to steer the conversation in a productive direction, Theo asked, "Do you live nearby?"

"For now, I'm renting an apartment downtown," John replied. "But I brought several bottles from the capital, Middle Lake. Have you ever been there?"

"This is where I grew up and then studied at the Guardian Academy."

"I'm sure you're an excellent detective," John commented.

"No one has complained so far," Theo replied with a shrug. "Except for the criminals."

"And you have a good sense of humor," he noted.

Curious about his background, Theo inquired, "What about you? What did you do in the capital?"

"I worked. I'm a banker specializing in investments."

Theo narrowed his eyes, finding it intriguing. Was his marriage to Ann just another 'investment' for him? He had to tread carefully during the interrogation. It seemed that John was observant, paying attention to small details, much like Theo himself, which was a bit unsettling.