* lan xichen :: attention

pairing. lan xichen x male reader

prompt. y/n gazes jealously at his husband from far away, as he gives everyone his attention but him. smut

order for <3 sammmmtyyy

the lanling jin clan was hosting another banquet. the occasion? god, who knows. y/n couldn't possibly be bothered. all he knew was that he came with his husband, but his husband was nowhere near his side. the whole banquet, y/n stayed on his seat, refusing to mingle or speak unless he was addressed.

all he would do was look at the seat beside him, which was supposed to be occupied by his husband, the venerable zewu-jun, clan leader of the gusu lan clan. they've been married for two years now, two years after the sunshot campaign concluded with the qishan wen clan's loss. they were married almost after the celebratory banquet, a small and intimate wedding, attended only by close friends and chosen family members.

the first year of their marriage was fine — filled with love and adoration for each other. then the second year came, and so did the massive amounts of paperwork that came with lan xichen being the clan leader of the great gusu lan clan. y/n helped of course, but his husband took on more of the work than he probably should.

and now, y/n thought that the banquet hosted by the lanling jin clan for unknown reasons, would finally be his chance to spend time with his husband. where they would just eat and chat, and mingle together. but as soon as lan xichen entered, he was swooped away by jin guangyao and nie huaisang.

y/n frowned as he watched his husband speak with jin guangyao, nie huaisang clinging to him and crying like a big baby. y/n sighed. forget having his husband's attention. he rose from his seat and left without saying anything. other clan leaders and guests seems to have taken notice of his sudden leave, but didn't say anything.

what was even stranger in the eyes of these cultivators, was the fact that his own husband, didn't seem to notice.

~

by the time lan xichen finally did notice his husband's disappearance from the venue, it was already nearing midnight. nie huaisang had fallen asleep at his seat from drinking too much, and the rest of the cultivators either retired to their guest chambers, or left to return to their respective homes. y/n's seat had long gone cold and empty, his food remaining mostly untouched, but the wine had been finished.

"a-yao, have you seen where a-y/n went?" lan xichen asked as the two of them walked to the exit of the grand hall. "i don't think i even noticed his sudden leave." jin guangyao replied. "maybe he returned to your room? if he had left lanling, the guards would have notified me." he adds.

"i see." lan xichen visibly deflated at jin guangyao's words. "cheer up. i'm sure he was just exhausted and needed some rest." jin guangyao tells xichen in an attempt to cheer him up. xichen gave him a small smile. "thank you, a-yao. i suppose i shall retire to my bedroom. thank you for inviting us to the banquet. it was quite a lovely gathering."

"of course. if you need anything, please do not hesitate to come to me. i'd like you and your husband to enjoy your stay here in the koi palace." xichen smiled before bowing politely to jin guangyao, the other clan leader doing the same in return.