wen ning ;; worthy

pairing. wen ning x male! reader

prompt. wen ning still needs to work on some of his archery skills. thankfully, there's a pretty reliable senior that's willing to teach him.

order for <3 luffystara

wen ning frowned as he nailed anothershot with an arrow. he was in the archery range all by himself, practicing his archery. ever since the hunt in the nightless city a couple of days ago, wen ning couldn't remove the feeling of frustration in his chest. he had a shot at gaining fame and attention within his clan by showing off his archery skills, but he just couldn't live up to the task.

everyday, he nailed shot after shot, his accuracy getting sharper as the frustration wouldn't leave him. he shot another arrow, and it pierced against another arrow that had been lodged into the center of the target. wen ning grumbled. if he pulled that off in front of his seniors, they'd definitely accept him, right..?

when wen ning reached for another arrow in his quiver, he noticed how it had gone empty. he sighed.

"hey, you!" wen ning looked up, his face brightening as he recognized that voice. coming into the archery range was wen y/n, one of the qishan wen clan's high-ranking seniors. he was one of wen ruohan's illegitimate sons, but was certainly more accomplished than his legitimate sons. he was a renowned swordsman, a talented exorcist, and everything else packed into one.

y/n walked towards him, holding a handful of arrows. "i see you're out working hard." he offered wen ning the arrows, but just before wen ning could grab them, y/n pulled them back. "eh- y/n-shixiong!" wen ning pouts. y/n chuckled, hiding the arrows behind his back. "oh, calm down. it's incredibly hot out today, why don't you take a break and i'll keep you company?" wen ning couldn't refuse.

after leaving behind his bow at the archery range, they both took a break underneath the shade of a large tree. its shadows kept them cool. y/n gave wen ning a bottle of water, and he drinks to cool himself down after spending hours under the raging sun. y/n only smiles as he watches his junior gulp down all the water in less than a minute.

"thirsty?" he asks with a teasing smirk, and wen ning nods bashfully. he gives the empty bottle back to his senior, who pockets it. y/n turns his attention back on wen ning, his eyes seemingly glued t his junior as if he was taking his sweet time observing him. "is there... something on my face, y/n-shixiong?" wen ning asked. "not exactly, no." y/n responds immediately.

"something about you is different." y/n muses. "you're working hard as if... to prove yourself."

wen ning blushes. 'he noticed...'

y/n smiles as he wraps his arms around wen ning's waist, bringing him closer. "shixiong....! people might see us..." wen ning blushed, his head now resting on y/n's shoulder, his back against y/n's tough chest. "so?" y/n asks. "people might look at you differently... you know.." wen ning's voice got smaller towards the end. "it doesn't matter to me. no matter what i do, people are always giving me weird looks. but... you can't achieve anything great if you just stayed normal your whole life, right?"

wen ning stayed quiet, unable to respond. y/n sighed, leaning his chin on wen ning's shoulder. "so? what're you trying to prove, a-ning?" y/n asked, closing his eyes as he listened to the sounds around him. he could wen ning's gentle breath, the soft thumps of his heart against his chest, the warm, afternoon breeze, the dancing trees... he could hear everything.

except wen ning's thoughts.

"i wish you'd lean on me a little bit more, a-ning. you're precious to me...." y/n's hold on wen ning's waist tightened just a little, but he noticed. wen ning placed his hand on y/n's arm, gently rubbing his forearm with his thumb. they stayed quiet for a while, but a minute passed into five, and y/n began to pull away, feeling disheartened, but wen ning spoke, and y/n stopped,

"y/n-shixiong is precious to me as well." wen ning turned around slightly, enough for y/n to see part of wen ning's reddening face. "that's why i wanted to be strong... so i could be worthy of standing next to you."

y/n's eyes widened. never has the thought crossed his mind; wen ning being unworthy to stand next to him? y/n would obliterate the person who said that to his face, but never did he expect it to come out of wen ning's mouth. slowly, he leaned forward, pulling his body towards wen ning, clinging to him as if he was his home — his safe place.

"please don't say that." wen ning turns his head so he could properly look at y/n. smiling, y/n fixes the hair sticking up on wen ning's head. "you're the only one who can stand by my side, no one else." y/n said. "you don't have to be strong, to me, you're perfect." y/n closes his eyes and leans forward, placing a gentle kiss on wen ning's lips. wen ning seemed to tense up for a moment, but he relaxed once their lips made contact. "you're the most perfect person for me."

y/n smiled as he pulls away. he stares into wen ning's eyes as if he were to navigate through the maze of wen ning's soul. he leans back, pulling wen ning with him. "y/n-shixiong...?" wen ning asks. y/n combs his fingers through wen ning's hair, smiling in content.

"hush. just... lay with me. let's stay like this for a little while." and they did, until the sun set beyond the sea of white clouds.

~

cuties!!!