I did it!

**the next afternoon**

Emma's pov

It's 3.30 pm, half an hour before the race. I'm a little nervous as always but just because I'm starting on pole and I'm determent to stay on pole. I play with a tennis ball, I let it bounce on the ground and grab it again. We just used it for reaction training, I'm already in my racing suit standing next to my car on the starting grid. I'm standing in between my car and Lando's. Lando walks up to me, I think he sees that I'm nervous because he grabs the tennis ball from my hand.

"Em don't be nervous okay, I know that it only gives you more nerfs but please don't! Look at how good you've been doing!" He says, I hug him. "Thanks for being such a good friend Lan." I say. I think he broke a little when I said that. I know we have done things that are more then friends would but we haven't made it official either. "No problem" he says soft and a little broken. I let go of him and look him in his eyes. I can see he is a little hurt, he smiles weak. "Lan I didn-" I try to say, "no it's, its okay Emma." He says and let his head hang down.

I feel guilty about what I said. I try get to him but he walks away. He puts on his helmet and gets in his car. I want to walk up to him but Raymond pulls me back and hands me my balaclava and headrest. I sigh and put them on I put on my helmet and climb in my car. I put on my steering wheel, it's 3.50 pm in 10 minutes we have formation lap and we start the race. I sit in my car still being nervous as hell but now I'm also feeling guilty for what I said to Lando. It's 4 pm, time for formation lap. I drive into turn 5, "radiocheck" I hear Hugh say over the radio. I decide to play a little with him. So I start to sing 'Real in Rio' from the movie Rio.

'All the birds of a feather
Do what we love most of all
Moon and the stars, strumming guitars
That's why we love carnaval!'

I sing. "Thanks for the concert Emma! You're loud and clear!" Hugh says laughing. "Copy that!" I say back laughing aswell. I drive back to the start grid places. I stop the car when I'm on my place. I look to my right, Lando is already looking my way. I look back to the lights.

"Welcome everybody, the 5th race of the season here in Budapest! We have Emma Verstappen on pole here! I'm so curious about how she will be doing today she was really emotional yesterday! The cars are standing still, the flag is being waved the lights go on!"

The lights go on one by one, it feels like an eternity. The fifth light is on, I breath out one last time. The lights go out and I stamp my foot on the pedal. Adrenaline is pumping trough my body when I drive into the first corner.

"AND ITS LIGHTS OUT AND AWAY WE GO, HERE IN BUDAPEST. LANDO NORRIS TRIES TO OVERTAKE EMMA VERSTAPPEN DOWN THE INSIDE INTO TURN ONE BUT VERSTAPPEN STAYS AHEAD. WHAT A DEFENCE FROM THE DUTCH ROOKIE!"

I drive away from Lando in my Red Bull. I start soft tyres so in lap 18 I have to pit. I'm 8 seconds ahead of Lando so I'll be 3rd when I come back on the track from the pits. I overtake Lewis now I'm P2. Now I just need to overtake Lando. It isn't that easy as I thought. I come closer and he defends pretty good. I do the old switcharoo trick and overtake him in turn 9.

Lando's pov

I'm a bit hurt about what Emma said to me right before the race, 'am I really just a friend to her? After what we did?' I think to myself. I put on my helmet and get in my car. It's 4 pm, time for formation lap. "Radiocheck" I hear Jarv say. "Radiocheck" I answer. "Loud and clear" Jarv says. I drive to my starting position, I look to my left at Emma. She looks back at me, then she looks at the lights. The lights go on, I keep my eyes on them. The lights go out and I give everything I have. I drive on the inside of Emma into turn 1. We almost touch but I steer to my right so we don't.