II - Good News

Florence is almost useless with her injuries. Mary is running around Ryder trying to heal the parts she can, but organics aren't something she's mastered. She works to stitch, my mom attempting to tune into his future but getting nothing. Medical staff rush into the room, some going to Florence, the others working on Ryder. They finish the sticking and cover him with equipment to identify all possible issues. I fall to my knees begging for more understanding, begging for the stars to help him. I just fucking met him, "Honey, worrying over him isn't going to do much."

"I can't... mom." I crawl into her outstretched arms. Her pregnant belly takes up space when I try to get as close as possible, but she makes it work by shifting so I can be comfortable around her. My heart snaps in two at the heart monitor that stutters. It fucking stutters, "Mom." My wails are painful on my ears, and I know it can't be much better for hers. My father enters the room with a grim look, his hand outstretching to grab my shoulder.

"Let's go talk for a moment."

"I can't leave him, dad." I let my hand hit the floor in the direction of the dying Ryder. I can feel the energy from my own body seeping into his trying to help him, but I'm so fucking useless I can't do anything but watch him slowly succumb to the darkness.

"As your father, I wish I could do more, but as your King I'm asking you to come with me on a walk. We need to talk, we won't be gone long. Your mother will make sure that everything in the stars power is done to help him."

"Go on, honey. You're in their way if you stay much longer. I promise... it'll help." My mother encourages rubbing the tears from the rim of my eyes. I give in grabbing my father's hand letting him pull me to standing. We exit the infirmary together walking a ways down the hallway before I slow to a stop. Vincent nods at the location giving his approval before continuing the urgent conversation. I'm still pissed at him for earlier, and he knows it with the way he's looking at me.

"I didn't mean it, Lil."

"It sure sounded like it when you yell it across a desk." I roll my eyes and toss my hands into the air, "I'm not listening to this, I'm leaving."

"Lillian, there's something we truly need to discuss."

"Then spit it out. You know if it were mom on that bed you'd be right next to her until someone killed you at that bedside."

He nods, "I know, child. I know. Ryder got us some vital information before Henry took hold of him. He sent Baden to the castle and took the hit for the both of them so he could escape. Henry's ability over powered Ryder's less concise one and he had help."

"Help?"

"Dermir. He sided with Henry and helped him capture Ryder with promise to deliver you on a silver platter. He's infiltrated the ranks and is working to get everyone under us within his ruling."

I slap my forehead trying to put things together, "But you're king. A gift from the stars themselves, no one else can hold the title."

"It's not what the star whispers believe, they are willing to kill us off, but their main plan is to take you... and..." He struggles to get it out, his eyes going black at the thought of it, "If you sleep with an immortal you gain the abilities. I've had to kill a lady or two after learning such information."

I groan, "I can't believe you ever respected the values and blamed women for giving it up. Takes two to tango."

"You're mother already let me have it. No need for you to join, but their plan is to take you. Ryder lost control at the knowledge and it's what allowed them to overpower in the beginning. Due to this you and Ryder will be under lock and key until we can figure out what's going on and where Dermir has access too."

"Isn't he a shape shifter like aunti Sunni?"

"That bitch isn't an aunti to anyone."

"Um. Okay." I pretend to zip my lips and he laughs. I join in. The need to have some humorous relief is biting at us. It's a cynical laugh, however. A lack of sleep and overload of horrid information that makes me want to rip my own throat out mix together for this unbelieving hyena laugh leaving me.

"I love you, Lillian."

"And I love you, but you're kinda rude sometimes."
"Now, come on. Your mother has some good news for you."