II - The Colorful Lies

"Are you ready then?" Ryders morning voice is heaven while he stands over the stove cooking up some breakfast. I scan over my freshly washed dress. He woke up extra early to take care of it so I could go to 'work' in clean clothes, no matter the fact this dress shows more than some lingerie in my closet.

"Yes, thank you." The clock clicks just a little past seven, so I take a seat watching him move around. The traffic way between planets is pretty busy in the morning, but still stays under thirty minutes for me to link between Hedium and Yunkin, where I currently am.

"Will I see you soon?" He says quietly sitting next to me with a plate outstretched. I grabbed the omelet from him letting him take his seat before responding.

"I was thinking, why don't we grab a bite tonight? My treat." I lay my phone on the table giving it a small slide towards him. He takes the hint typing his number clicking it closed before giving it back.

"Dinner sounds great, but I'll take care of it." He waves a hand at me taking a large bite of omelet.

"Oh yeah? I eat like a pig!"

"I like a girl with an appetite." He winks my way sending me into a blushing fit. Grabbing the fork next to me, I dive in, another mouth-gasm at the taste of his cooking.

"I have to say, Ryder, I don't think I'll be able to beat your cooking." I shovel in another bite while he laughs at my squirrel face.

"A compliment. Thank you. Now hurry, you said you work on Hedium? You don't have much time." He checks his watch tapping the glass to make sure it's right.

"Uh, yeah. Business actually. And it's not a big deal if I'm a little late, they won't start without me." It sounds egotistical from another point of view, but Florence can't train someone who isn't there.

I watch Ryder's eyes flash gold to black, then back to the green. My fork finds its place back on the plate while I survey his more casual uniform for the shop, "Are you alright?"

Ryder laughs a little, barely convincing me he finds anything funny in the least, "My stars, I swear- Marking. It's a little harder to fight than I expected, and I want to give you the space."

"Oh." I nibble my bottom lip looking around the room. My eyes land on different photos taking them in one at a time. The marking is a simple concept binding two people together in such an intimate way... it's much more permanent than marriage. These days, women are allowed to choose when to accept the mark, but it wasn't long ago that men would force it on their partners the moment they saw them.

"Yes, sorry love. I might need to step away, so I don't do something that you'd hate me for." He shoves his chair back walking away into the bathroom. I slouch defeated in my chair. My reaction to him probably wasn't the best response, I avoided all eye contact while forcing myself to think on other things. The woman in the relationship doesn't feel much in the need to mark, it being more the dominates burden to carry in the relationship.

Taking the last bite of the breakfast, I push myself away from the table as well, grab my telka, and start to walk towards the door. I hear the creaking when he leaves the bathroom my back staying to him as I strap on my shoes.

"Leaving now?"

"Uh... yes. You're right. I shouldn't be late." He gives me a smile but turns to focus on the dishes.

"I guess I'll see you later then?" I call out at his door, he turns his head to give me a nod.

"I'd leave before I chain you to bed," He grins showing his white teeth, "And I'll see you later, love. Don't think of me too much."