Challenging Men

Crystal Lyson Point of View – Two Weeks Later

Chase and Stella dance beautifully in front of us at their reception. Both of them chose to have a small wedding with the people of the castle after their adventure, and my near-death experience. Vincent has been attempting to stay calm and not become the overbearing, protective mate, but in some ways he has failed. However, the effort that I see in him negates any of the moments that I want to strangle him.

Three of us, Sunni choosing to step back, these past weeks have been training with the guards, our mates standing on the sidelines keeping each other in check as our strength and abilities have grown. While we appreciate their support, their constant growls from a man knocking us down can get distracting.

We watch Stella spin by us again, leaving her mate to greet others in the party, by herself. Once the three of them had the chance to walk and take care of themselves, it was too much to try to shove anyone back into that box. So, for right now, as long as we are on castle grounds, we are able to take ourselves places and handle our own business. It's a small win to the big war, but these men can only handle so much at once, insert sarcastic laugh.

Sunni still chooses to be carried by her mate and follow a more traditional lifestyle, none of us judge her for it, but it does surprise us. A sit on my chair craning my neck to see Sunni sitting on Mark's lap. Mark looks pissed staring at Vincent's crown with an intent that I'm not able to place. Without having the time to process, Mark catches my wandering eyes standing up from his place to approach Vincent who looks back over his chair with a bland expression. Those two have been butting heads since we got back and none of us can pin-point the reason why.

Vincent Lyson Point of View

I watch as Mark puffs out his chest meeting my bored gaze with his power hungry one. 

"Vincent Lyson, I challenge you to the death for the crown." His words resonate through the room and silence all the people. At a wedding? I stand up from my chair, my height standing well above him. Turning my head down, my metallic crown casting a shadow over his face, I give a smirk.

"You truly think you have the ability to beat me? Is this more of that stupid ideology that Sunni has been feeding you?"

Ideology?

"You are no longer fit to lead. Changing the traditions of our people, wreaking havoc between the sacred mate bonds. How can you look in the mirror when your mate can just carry herself wherever she wants to go? Some protector of this future."

Crystal moves to stand as well, her heated gaze about to put him in his place, but I hold up my hand and she quiets herself but continues to stand next to me ready for anything. So, so beautiful.

I take off my crown and set it down on the table. No need for such materialistic representations when I could rip his head off with a snap of my thumb and pointer. The room is eerily silent, and I sense the room guards awaiting orders, no one has challenged me in a long time, the last having his throat ripped out just for speaking to me, "You speak as though you know anything you imbecile. Do you wish to handle this now or after I change every single law that limits the strength of my beautiful mate and other women that deserve more quality out of their life?"

"Tomorrow, it will give us enough time to say goodbye to our mates. Strongest blessed by the stars to rule."

Out of the corner of my eye, I watch Crystal walk over to Sunni who sits with a straight back and a challenging gaze. She act's as though my mate won't kill her where she stands.

"I accept your terms. I hope you are ready to lose everything you have ever loved. Are you truly ready to kill her as well?" My voice is a whisper, Mark finally showing a small amount of fear. It is well known through the people when one of the mates die, the other dies as well the break of the bond too debilitating.