Announcement

Crystal Lyson Point of View

The area where they'll fight seems smaller than expected, almost bursting at the seams at the male anger-hormones moving through the air. Sunni stands next to me, holding her lower belly with a smile, barely greeting me when she walked out.

Her voice is like nails on chalkboard when she decides to speak, "You know that Mark is determined to rip that progressive throat out of your husband. I can't help but agree with him."

"Lovely to see you too, bitch." The confusion that meddles through my thoughts reminds me of the tolerable girl that tried to save me. She is almost another person from the woman that demanded to hate men, her neck on the chopping block all those days ago.

The truth is finally revealed, the wool pulled from my eyes as I look over her. She only cares for herself, and whatever it takes to keep her head above water is good enough for her, until she sees the surface. Her obvious desire for power and control seeps out of her skin like a black ick. How can someone that cared so little for the laws now be defending them with her life?

"You act as though the crown hasn't changed you. I see the way you look at me. The disgust." Her teeth are bright white in her eerie smile, Vincent and Mark getting in position to start the challenge.

I let myself peak over at my male, his stance strong. A wink is sent my way with a smirk. He's got this.

"The crown was not something I asked for, you idiot. The change you demand to see was forced upon me by the wrecked society of the Cintum galaxies. The change I require is for the betterment of the people and will lead to a stronger civilization overall. You of all people should agree with it, knowing that your head was to be hung shortly before you found your mate."

She rolls her eyes, turning to the fight in front of us, Mark dips low, Vincent goes high. Each expertly trained to dodge the other. Both seem to be holding back, their pained expressions as they fight. It is obvious who's desire this really was.

"You could call this off you know," I remark to her, crossing my arms. She whispers encouragements to her belly, the assumption I had being proved correct, "Save you and the child."

"No need to worry about me or my blessing. Mark will win and I will have the pleasure of escaping your horrid pregnancy stink."

My what? My face pales, her cat like grin becoming even more noticeable. The suns stand behind her giving her a black shadow over her face, but those white teeth reflect the surprise I hold.

She laughs, raising her hand to fan at me lowering it back down, "Did you not know? Women that are truly blessed by the stars can scent another pregnancy. It is a way for us to support our people and care for the new moms. Allows us to act more herd like. Not something we need these days, but always helpful. Did I... ruin the surprise?" Her laugh is sickening, my heart beating out of my chest.

Of course, I had assumptions, it's not like I have done anything to prevent it, but I was also under the assumption you could only get pregnant at certain times of your life, a birthing season of some sorts.

Both of us watch Vincent stand over Mark, a faint scream coming from Sunni as my mate rips the head of his guard clean off his shoulders. The body drops to the ground, the hair still tangled through Vincent's fingers.

The wails reach my eyes as Sunni drops to the ground, holding herself close. Blood seeps between her legs as the baby passes quickly no longer supported by the tether between Sunni and Mark. Covering my mouth, I step back trying to keep the tears that edge my eyes from spilling over.

Vincent drops the head, grabs a towel, and walks over to me. He runs his hands up and down my arms as we watch her breathing slow and eyes fog white. She's dead.