Chapter 8: Rebel With Wings

[Y/n's PoV]

After succeeding taunting the Raiden Shogun, she let me inside a domain where I instantly heard a voice speaking in front of me.

"What do you seek inside this realm?"

Upon closer inspection, the plane seems to be a realm of clouds and sky. I felt a peaceful, tranquil presence of her as I stood upon this huge platform.

"Your presence... Felt familiar... Hmm, are you the one who I had really fought thousands of years ago?" I asked.

"Yes, the one you encountered is merely a puppet version of me. As I recall, you sought to bring about justice for your sister. I supposed you have come to speak with me to enact your vengeance upon me all these years, but I hope that you realize by now that justice is but a petty concept in the realm of Eternity."

I stayed silent before turning my full body around.

"I don't want to talk you. I'm gonna head back to Tsurumi Island now."

"...Go back? You came all this way just to face me and now you wish to leave?"

The temperature in the realm drops to a cold, frosty chill. I can feel the air grow thicker with thunderous energy, and a lightning bolt strikes nearby, leaving a small crack on the ground before me.

"Don't you have anything to say to me?" She asks softly.

"Why bother? I'll just face you some other time."

Before I can manage to walk away, the Shogun suddenly halts me. Now, I didn't see one— but two of her presence beside me; the one I'm currently familiar with and then vice versa.

"The only one who can decide when we meet is me. I shall not let you take your leave. I am the mighty, feared almighty Raiden Shogun. Do you really dare to disregard the words of the one within?"

"You again..?! I have already talk to the real shadow and not you, so let go."

"Ah, but you forget. As Raiden Ei's shadow, I am an extension of her will and desire. We are one and the same. And I have decided on the fact that you will not leave this place before facing me."

A spark of thunder then flashes nearby.

I already had enough of this and was about to summon my polearm, but someone suddenly grabs the both of us and holds us off.

The traveler seems to hold me while that kitsune holds the Shogun.

"Yae Miko, you do not understand the situation. Let me go!"

The Shogun is clearly irritated and Yae seems to be holding her in place. I saw the Shogun's eyes glow with thunderous energy as she struggles in vain against the kitsune's grip.

"Aether, let go of me or you'll be the one to face my wrath." I spoke coldly at him before he decided to let go of me.

That shadow whose name is Ei also had enough speculation and tries to step in.

"Miko, you can't keep holding the Shogun like that. This is not the way to solve conflicts."

The Shogun stops struggling and stares at Yae. She can't get loose, but her frown says it all. I guess she does not like being physically held back.