Chapter 12: Golden Howl

On an island on which humans no longer dwell, a golden king of beasts has commanded its pack of followers to pave the way through space for it.

One can only wonder: what dreams might be woven from the sharp claws and fangs of these hidden beasts? And what impulses drive them to invade this world?

Hailing from a dark world, this ruler of the black wolves has the power to call upon its followers, its hidden claws, to dissolve space itself and forge a rift through which it may enter.

The Wolflord has no name, for it was but one of "Gold" unintentional creations, and that is precisely why it is obsessed with invading worlds that do not belong to it and making a name for itself.

That said, the wolf pack is far from unintelligent. After suffering a defeat in its previous invasion, a deserted island where no humans or protectors dwell has been selected for them to prepare for their lord's descent.

[Y/n's PoV]

"Listen, stay out of my way and maybe I'll let you live." She says while preparing to fight the Wolflord.

The Wolflord summoned a pack of rifthounds, and they seemed to be heading towards us.

"No, I won't listen especially to you since that monster have also decided to trespass on my island!" I said, feeling a little determined to kill it.

"...So you're willing to risk your life in this fight too, I see. Hmph, you can be proud as you want but I won't let you take over this monster. This is my fight."

She readied her polearm again, and we both braced ourselves as the mighty and dangerous wolflord roared.

"Watch, Thunderbird, maybe you'll learn a thing or two."

She then charged at the Wolflord, her sword infused with electro but I knew that this Wolflord is equally powerful and ferocious.

Her lightning strikes seemed to hit the Wolflord with incredible effect, as the giant beast howled in agony. The Wolflord then unleashed a powerful swing of its own towards her, but she deftly dodged it and went in for another attack, a flurry of thunderous blows that left the beast reeling in anguish.

However, the Wolflord quickly recovered, and it soon seemed like it had gotten the upper hand, as it began to charge at her once again. The ground shuddering under its mighty hooves as it moves.

As for me, I was currently folding my arms while only here on the ground far away from them to speculate.

"Even she doesn't want to admit it, I could see she's now struggling because of our battle earlier and now, this... I could just let her die here right now, but it wouldn't satisfy me if someone managed to kill her and not by own hands."

"Tsk, what a drag this is."

I sighed and quickly rushed in and grabbed the Wolflord's attention since it was about to strike her with a massive blow.

With my unexpected intervention, I can only guess that I may have prevented her from being killed from the Wolflord's attack which kinda irritates me deep inside for saving her but I'm confident that I can successfully kill her on my own once my full strength is back.

As for now, my current goal is to kill this one first since it's focusing its attention on me instead as it prepared to strike with its claws.

I dodged and rolled to the side to avoid the massive attack as it suddenly pivoted its attack.

I hastely ran towards near the Wolflord's left side and it seemed that she, managed grasped the situation and rushed towards the Wolflord from the other side as well.

She jumped up and attempted to slash at its neck with her polearm, aiming for a lethal blow, but the Wolflord seemed too quick for us both as it quickly moved out of the way, causing both of our attacks to miss.

Tch.

I quickly changed course in mid-air and went for another attack.

We continued to fight the Wolflord together, and the Wolflord was struggling to keep up with our combined effort, although just as we thought that the battle was nearing its end, the Wolflord let out a powerful roar, calling more rifthounds to aid it in this fight.

I swiftly dashed away from those incoming rifthounds before turning my attention to Ei somewhat irritated.

"Are you now imitating my moves, shadow?"

She then turns to me.

"Fool. Haven't you heard of synchronizing?"

I scoffed,"I don't need your assistance when I can handle this on my own. Not like you."

Even for my comment, she seemed to unperturbed by it.

"Someone like me?" She asked a little dumbfoundedly.

Grr, is she really doing this on purpose..?!

"Of course! If you believe you can handle everything on your own, I am more than willing to simply watch the events unfold. But sadly, you can't." I said and used my thunderous speed to gain an advantage over the Wolford as the beast finding itself hard pressed by this onslaught.

I could hear her snorts at my remark before focusing her mind at the Wolflord again. Her movements were swift as the Wolflord finding it difficult to follow her speed as well as my attacks were relentless, and that coupled with her strength that caused a great amount of damage to the Wolflord.

The Wolflord let out another mighty roar, its pack of rifthounds now closing in on us both as the rifthounds began to attack, trying to slow us down and enough for their king to regenerate and to come up with a plan.

She then suddenly speaks.

"The rifthounds couldn't reach us from above, so I want you to distract the Wolflord and leave an opening for me to use the Isshin art."

"Now you're ordering me around?" I asked looking a little displeased.

"Just do it." She said with a solemn look on her that made me stiffen for a moment before she began slaying the rifthounds coming towards us.

"Tsk."

I flew up from above and managed to lure the Golden Wolflord up to the sky with enough time and distraction before Ei levitated herself and used her final attack.

"Now you shall perish!"

She delivered a final, powerful blow on the Wolflord as a loud crunching noise followed the Wolflord's body collapsing onto the ground.

The massive dead beast created a crater in the ground as blood started to seep out. The remaining rifthounds then decided to retreat through their rift.

"It would seem the fight is over. The Wolflord has fallen."

She then gaze at me.

"Well fought. We may not see eye to eye, but I recognize your prowess."

I crossed my arms and rolled my eyes.

"I don't need your praise."

As the Golden Wolflord's body began to dissolve, we both noticed it left an open space rift right in front of us.

Moreover, it looked similar to how rifthounds open their portals to the dark realm before they emerged to attack.

I head towards the portal but she held me back with her words.

"The Wolflord has already been slain. Don't be reckless to dive into the unknown since the Wolflord may not be the only one inhabiting that realm."

"Is that so? Well you should take note of this, shadow, that I didn't ask for your permission."

Before she could respond to my sentence I already dashed towards the rift ahead, leaving her behind.