Chapter 32: What Are The Odds

[Y/n's PoV]

Suddenly, I felt a flash of lightning around my hands, as Ei finally unleashes her attack.

"I will never stand aside if you try to destroy my nation."

I feel her begin to squirm in my grasp again and summons a small ball of electricity and blasts it towards me as she finally manages to break free.

I hear a loud 'ZAP' as the electricity hits me straight in the chest. The shock was overwhelming, causing me to collapse to the ground next to Ei. My whole body was shaking and convulsing, but I've successfully composed myself and trapped her once more.

"Now, now, we're both immune from lightning, so there's no need to be so tense, shadow."

I smiled smugly and came closer to her face.

"Right..?"

Ei doesn't respond to my question and sneered at me before speaking in a somewhat mocking tone.

"Of course I am. But 'you', on the other hand, seem quite shaken after that attack. I thought Thunderbirds were supposed to be proud and confident..."

Despite the joking tone of her voice, I can't help but notice the concern in her eyes— just a glimpse, but there nonetheless.

"You're the one to talk." I said in irritation.

She falls silent for a moment before speaking again in a much more serious voice.

"Listen carefully, Y/n. I may be your enemy, but I'm still the Raiden Shogun. You can try to kill me if you wish- no, you must try your best, if you are to fulfill your end of the bargain."

She pauses in thought, then speaks with her following words with a determined expression.

"For my part, I will do what I must to protect the lands I've promised to rule."

I rolled my eyes.

"Oh really? Now, how about this... Why don't you apologize to me and I'll let this one slide?"

I tried making a small proposal so that she could lower her own pride instead of mine.

"You know..."

She looks at me straight in the eyes confidently.

"This is the first time you've ever managed to surprise me during the entire time we've been talking. I thought you Thunderbirds had lost all sense of surprise by now, with how confident and cocky you are most of the time..."

Her tone and expression changes once more, as she smiles at me from ear to ear.

"So, you want an apology from me? You want me to beg you for mercy?"

Ei asked me straight to the point that made nod in response.

"It's the only way for me to release you right now, yes?"

After saying that, she thinks for a long moment, and then speaks while still smiling.

"Perhaps there is some humanity in you Thunderbirds after all... So..."