Chapter 23: Forest's Secret

[Y/n's PoV]

With everything arranged and ready to go, Aether, his companion, Ei, and myself head for Sumeru, where we will start looking for the Gate of Zulqarnain and for answers in regards to the Abyss's return.

"With enough time, we could reach Sumeru by noon."

"Alright, let's make haste. Remember— the longer we take, the greater the threat the Abyss posses. Our aim is to reach the Gate of Zulqarnain and investigate the cause of the Abyss's resurgence. We may part ways at any point in this quest, but for now, we have the same destination. So let's put our differences aside and move as quickly as we can." She said.

Yae Miko didn't join us since she still has her duty as the head of the shrine and will be keeping an eye at Narukami Island while the Raiden Shogun is gone for a while.

I stepped off the ship and into the port of Sumeru. It was bustling with activity. There are merchants selling the most exotic products of Sumeru and other foreign lands; sailors were carrying goods from ship to ship and the people on land walking on by or having meetings of their own.

I saw a few Sumeru guards making their rounds as well. The air was refreshing and smells of a faint perfume, and the sunlight that filters through the canopy of the forest makes the area seem a picture of serenity.

There is so much to see and do here.

"Hey, Aether, why don't you and your pet try asking the people who lives here about the desert?" I requested.

"Argh! For the last time! Paimon's not a pet! Paimon's name is Paimon! Let's go, Aether!"

They run off to ask the locals about the desert. Meanwhile, I took this opportunity to talk to Ei— not that I wanted to, but before I could even make a move, she approaches me first as though she reads my mind.

"Y/n, may I ask you something? You haven't... move on from your sister's demise yet, correct?"

"...."

Why did she brought up this topic again?

Before I can spit out something disdainful, Aether and... Paimon came running back to us, holding up something in their hands.

"We got some information from the people over there. One of them even gave us this map. It's supposed to show us the location of the desert."

"Is that so? You've done well."

Ei takes away the map from Aether and examines it, then she turns her attention back to me.

"We shall continue this conversation later. Now, let us continue with our mission. There are only a handful of hours left until nightfall. If we want to get a sufficient amount of sleep, we must make haste. The Gate of Zulqarnain needs to be located and the secrets of the Abyss must be revealed as soon as possible."

With that, me, Ei, Aether, and Paimon continued our travels. It was getting close to nightfall, and soon we probably be needing to find a place to stay for the night.

After a few hours of travel, we saw a rainforest with tall, big branches in the distance.

"...I'll scout ahead to see if there are any safe areas for us to rest for the night."

I then transformed to a normal bird size and take off.

Minutes later, I flew around and circled back to the group, reporting what I had found.

"There's what seems to be a decent and safe spot to rest in the woods. There's a clearing about half a mile to the south, and I couldn't find any signs of any monsters or dangerous creatures nearby."