Chapter 10: Wandering Questions

[Y/n's PoV]

Another day have passed and I was killing some hilichurls at the island at early morning.

I'm having fun playing with the hilichurls, and the day is as beautiful as it can be.

The wind is light, the sun is shining as bright, and I'm in the mood to kick some more hillichurls' asses.

After that, I heard a familiar voice.

"Hey there!"

And I take a look at the source of the sound to discover...

"Oh? It's you. Aether, was it?"

"Yup, you guessed it. Now, can I ask what is your name?"

I pondered for a moment before nodding.

"I guessed I could answer this question of yours since you're the one who'd freed me. My name is Y/n."

"Y/n. What a lovely name. Now, I have more questions for you. Do you mind if I ask them?"

I raised a brow.

"Oh? I didn't recall this to be an interrogation."

"No, that's not it. I'm not being suspicious or anything. I merely want to get to know you better. Can you please spare some time to answer only two more questions?"

"...fine."

"Thank you so much." Aether was now grinning nervously.

He then hesitates for a moment before asking the first question.

"What is your relationship with the Raiden Shogun?"

He looks into my eyes as he asks this very delicate question.

"What do you mean what is our relationship? She's my enemy and will forever be my enemy." I answered bluntly.

"Okay then, Y/n, let me re-phrase the question. What I meant to ask is, why do you consider her your enemy?"

Aether was still looking at me while waiting for my answer.

"Are you blind? It's because she killed my sister and then sealed me too. Now, what I want is to get revenge."

"...I'm very sorry to hear that. Losing a dear person is never easy. But to get revenge, is it truly the only way?"

He asked me this question in a soft tone. He seems to be genuinely concerned towards me... Or maybe I am wrong, but I noticed that his words are not said with malice or ill intentions. He's not mocking me or trying to convince me to surrender to my desires or anything like that. As if he's merely trying to listen to me.

"The decisions that I made are final, and no mortal such as yourself could change that." I said calmly.

"I never doubted your decisions. I just wish that there was another way, a way that didn't involve so much violence. I just want to hear your perspective. What happened to finding more peaceful methods? I can't say that I understand the situation you're in, but isn't revenge a dangerous thing to crave?"