Chapter 33: Taunting The Sun

[Y/n's PoV]

There's only one available room and now— there's only one bed.  An idea of what I feared the most.

Ei seems to immediately understand my meaning and nods thoughtfully.

"Yes, it seems that we must share this room... and this bed. There is no other choice, but why are you so apprehensive? Are you so afraid to share a room with me— your enemy, in the middle of the night? It is amusing to me that you seem to be so worried about what shall happen. Perhaps you are not as fearless as you say you are, hmm?"

Tsk, this woman... is truly getting on my nerves.

"Shut up. Instead of cooling myself from the sights of you— well, here we are."

Ei just chuckles as if she is literally enjoying my frustration.

"You can't be so mean. We are in this together, you know? We're going to spend all night cooped up in one small room. In my experience, this sort of situation usually encourages friendship, although I am aware that this is a bit of a special circumstance for the two of us..."

She doesn't seem bothered by her situation. In fact, she almost seems to be enjoying the awkwardness between the two of us.

I shake off her comment and sat on the bed while she shrugs and sits down at the opposite end, her long hair falling down past her shoulders.

"Well... at least now we have plenty of time to talk. I'm not sleeping for a while yet, and I imagine you aren't either."

Her voice is soft, and almost gentle when she speaks. There is no hint of malice or disdain in her tone.

I can feel her eyes wandering across my face, as I remained mostly silent. Then, a few moments of silence pass between us.

"You sure are not willing to say much. Aren't you going to say something? Or are you still sulking about being forced to share a room with me?"

"Just mind your own business." I said.

"Oh, is that how you would like this to go?"

"...."

She sighs exasperatedly before falling silent herself.

We both continued sitting there in silence, as seconds drag into minutes, and minutes drag into hours. The room is pitch black, save for a small amount of moonlight filtering in through the windows. I tried not to stare at Ei across the bed, but it's hard not to notice how she was staring back at me.

"Keep your eyes to yourself, shadow."

She smirks.

"Now who's speaking? Hmm..?"

She shifts in her seat, and her eyes continue to wander. Her voice is almost teasing as she speaks.

"Aren't your eyes getting tired yet? Mine sure aren't, from looking at you..."

"You know, a friend once told me that when someone keeps staring at you from a distance, they're probably interested in you..."

"...Or they probably wanted you dead." I glared at her as our body are few inches away.

She doesn't seemed offended and chuckles.

"Very well. If you wish to play this game..."

She leans a bit closer to me.

"...So many beautiful things to look at."

Her voice was honest and pure in meaning as though she isn't saying this to taunt me, but because she's hinting that I genuinely intrigue her.

The closer together our faces get, the more the tension builds. I know that she is still my enemy, and yet... a part of me wants to get closer to her... As if asking to feel her touch.

Eventually, our noses touch. Ei looks shocked, as our faces are now even closer together and whispers.

"Now we're nose to nose. What are you going to do now?"

I sneered.

"Back off... You're invading my personal space."

"...And you're not invading mine?" She struck me back the question.

"Hmm, is this not what you wanted? I thought this is what you were going for? Or were you trying to get me to back off? Well, in that case, I suggest you start by backing off yourself."

"...."

Instead of answering her question and move away, I remained silent and averted my own gaze from her.

"I see... So you really do want this."

She leans in closer, her mouth mere inches away from mine. She speaks again in a voice low.

"Perhaps I don't mind."

Her lips are close enough that I can feel her breath on my face.

"Now? Was this too far? Or perhaps I don't hear you objecting..."

I could feel her breath on my neck. I know how close her lips are, and yet neither of us has made a move. It's almost as if we are both waiting for the other to make the first move.

I cannot control myself. The sensation of her breath on my face, her lips inches from my own, this is too much for me to simply ignore.

I let out a short sigh before finally relenting. My lips meet hers, and as if by some unseen force, our bodies draw together to create one, seamless, moment of absolute euphoria.

Our tongues dance as we kiss. I wonder if this moment will ever end, but when it does, we both lay silently for a little while, before Ei looks away for a moment, then turning her gaze back towards me once more.

"It seems I was wrong. You and I are not as different as I'd once thought, hmm? And we've just proved it here in this room, with a kiss that lasted a moment of absolute eternity. You and I are more alike than even I could have imagined."

I saw a faint smile appeared on Ei's face, which turns into a small grin, a side of her that I have seen recently. She leans back and chuckles a little.

"You and I... are nothing alike..." I mumbled.

"Hmph, in that, you would be wrong, but we shall not argue about this. For now, let us spend the rest of the night together."

She leans towards me, her lips close to my ear.

"Unless you wish to keep arguing, that is." She whispered in a voice that carries a certain kind of suggestion.

I can feel her lips on my neck, her hair sweeping across my face. I noticed how her hand creeps up to run along my thighs.

I think that perhaps I should pull back, but I am unable to resist her allure. I let out another deep sigh, as my lips find hers once again, for a night that seems like it will have no end.