Chapter 37: Clarity

[Y/n's PoV]

There was a moment of silence, as if I couldn't believe what I just heard, even though my heart tells me to scream this one out.

Ei still holds me tightly in her arms, and her expression... seems to be blushing. A faint light pink slowly appears on her cheeks.

"You... What..?"

I tried gathering my thoughts and asked her about her sudden confession, but Ei slowly looks down... and kisses me on the lips.

Her expression is one of slight surprise, as if even she is in shock from her own action. The faint color from her blush has now covered her whole face and it seems like she's still processing what she's done.

I have my arms around Ei, and I can feel her trembling slightly, but I didn't push her away nor kiss her back. The light on my cheeks from the sunrise was slowly fading, and the whole situation is almost dream-like.

I hear her soft whispers.

"Y/n, please... Let's not be ashamed. You don't have to hold back. Let me... let me take... let me love you... Let me hold you. I don't want this to end. Let me be yours, Y/n. Let this be our eternity."

Her declaration made me looked down at my own two feet.

"...Do you think it's that easy..?" I asked.

Ei just continues to softly caressed my hair and my cheeks with her fingers. Her actions and words all seem too perfect, as if they belong to a fairy tale or a romance novel.

"I think it can be. I'm sure it can, Y/n. All you have to do is want it too."

She leans her face closer towards mine, as I can feel her warm breath on my skin.

"You just have to say... Yes."

"...."

I removed my hands away and turned my back around so that I could not face her.

"I'm... not the one you were meant to find because whatever we do, fate is just going to keep us apart."

After saying this, I felt Ei's body on my back, hugging me as her head was buried on my shoulder.

"I knew that we're enemies, but what would you really call us? Were we lovers, or was it just a meaningless fling? Did you even have any love for me at all? Or was this whole romance just a cruel joke, only making me feel worse as every minute passes?"

"No— it's just..." I bite my lower lip to prevent myself by telling her what I truly felt towards her.

"Just what..? Why do you keep resisting me? I don't want fate taking us apart. Let me fight for us, Y/n. Please."

"I wanted us to be together the moment I first saw you. You're the only one I want to spend the rest of my days with, in the Plane of Euthymia or anywhere else."

Ei said while I shook my head in disagreement.

"There's no use... Our love will always lead to tragedy–"

"No. Please don't give in to fate like this. Fight for us. Fight for me."

"Y/n, I can't stand fate deciding our happiness. We may be enemies, but let me prove that we can still be together for real."

Ei then moves my head so I am now facing her.

"...I can't bear living in eternity knowing that I could have loved you, but failed to tell you how I felt."