Chapter 29: Analogy

[Y/n's PoV]

Upon returning to the group, Aether and Paimon were still looking after the sandworm. It looks happier, and it nuzzles Aether's hand as if asking for affection.

When the sandworm noticed me, it suddenly looked frightened by my presence.

"...."

Aether notices the sandworm's reaction and tries to comfort it.

"It's alright, buddy. It's just Y/n. She's... She's nice..."

He seems a bit reluctant to go with me, as he's trying to be patient with the sandworm.

"Huh, it seems to be more intimated by your presence rather than mine." Ei said and let out a soft chuckle.

I shrugged,"What can I say? Birds eat worms."

She looks at Aether and Paimon for a moment, and then she sighs.

"I'm afraid our time with the sandworm must come to an end now."

Paimon looks at Aether, who is trying to convince the sandworm to stay quiet and still then sighed back, knowing it's best not to prolong the goodbye any further.

"Yes... I'll miss it. But... it's better this way."

He scoops up the sandworm in his hands and was about to put it back on the road but I stopped him.

"Hold on..."

I searched the area until I found a pack of sandworms near a tree and point my finger to that direction.

"You should place it there so that it can reunite with its family."

Aether and Paimon nodded and walk towards the tree nearby while I watched them.

"Huh, I didn't know you have that kind of side from within you."

I paused for a moment and glance at Ei before looking at the tiny sandworm reuniting with its families.

"I don't. I just know how it feels to lost the path that you thought you would reach together..."

After saying this, Ei's expression remains stern, but I couldn't help but feel as if she's thinking about a certain memory.

"You're quiet. It seems to me that you know that kind of pain as well, no?"

She remains silent for a few moments before answering me.

"Hmph, you're sorely mistaken."

Hearing her say that made me closed my eyes and crossed my arms.

Tsk, the answer is so obvious but she wouldn't want to admit it. So stubborn...

After reopening them, I saw Aether and Paimon walk back to us.

"Okay, we should probably get going now."

I glanced at Ei once last time. Her thoughts are difficult to read, but I sensed that she's not saying what she wants to say about the memory of her sister's demise so I dropped the subject.