47

Will and I were sitting at the Hades table at camp. 

We had been together for quite a few years and life had, for the most part, been sailing on good. I say for the most part because these past few months Will has become... more distant. I tried to talk to him about it, but he pulled away from me further. I think it had to be something going on with his mom because otherwise he would have told me. (Right?)

The alternative idea hurt.  I had entertained it often in the late nights when the ghosts (heh... get it? Ghosts.) of my mind got too loud. The idea that he would leave me. That he no longer loved me. That we weren't going to make it to the underworld still in love.

I hated that idea. I hated entertaining it, but I couldn't help but think about it as this was the only time the two of us had been at this table alone in weeks.

It was only about a month until the summer-campers would be joining us, but we frequently had visits from our friends (or we sat at the Apollo table with Will's siblings). The point is, it wasn't often that the two of us would be alone at lunch. So why now? 

"Nico... you know I love(d) you right?" Will took my hand slowly and looked into my eyes, forcing me away from picking at the food in front of me. Did he say 'love' or 'loved'? Was I imagining that?

"Yea..."

"But I don't know what has happened recently. I've been thinking about it for months--" 

My ears started ringing. I could still hear him, but it felt like I had been stuffed full of cotton and been rammed in the chest by a hydra. 

I had been right.

Fuck, why did I have to be right.

I quietly told him I understood. I did. I really did. Why would someone so perfect really want to stay with someone like me? Why would Will want to be with a broken boy like me? Why couldn't I have been better (or good enough for him to stay)?

We sat there, silently, for the rest of lunch. 

I wished I could've gotten mad. I wish I could've asked what I did wrong. I wish I could've cried. I may be a Ghost King, but this boy was worth crying over.

But that's it, isn't it? I can't cry to someone else. Will and I have the same friends by now. We hang out with the same people. I can't say that it broke me because that will hurt him.

I have long accepted I was in love with him. But now? Now: he isn't in love with me. What do I do?

((⋆))

Hi Cakes,

I haven't posted for PJO in awhile, but I figured I would treat y'all with a short little angst oneshot. I have been writing some other angsty little poems (a couple along the lines of this oneshot even) if you want to check them out! They're under the title "A Broken Mind, A Broken Soul". I hope y'all are doing ok (besides crying at this obviously). I might keep posting stuff; it really depends on my mood lol.

Hope to see you again,

Anyways Cakes,

Cakey out!