48

In most realities, weird scars or bumps in that show up randomly are mysteries. However, in Nico's, this was a very different story. Bruises wouldn't last forever, neither would scars, so the constant refilling of new. jagged white scars across his arms started to worry Nico. 

They weren't something he had ever seen before, and truthfully, at 12, he thought it wasn't much to worry about. 

This wasn't to say he wasn't worried about the amount of them, he just thought that his soulmate had a very reasonable explanation! Like a habit of climbing trees and accidently scraping himself, or maybe a job volunteering with animals! It had only just started so it had to be something like that.

---

It continued for 5 more years. Every day, Nico would see more and more little pink or white lines appear on his arms. Some days they were longer than others, a few even appeared on his thighs a couple times. All the lines were neat now. Nico knew know it was definitely something to worry about: self harm scars, with a neatness that showed that this was something his soulmate was getting way too accustomed to.

The pink lines always worried Nico more than the others, and the long one that was slowly dragging across his skin, cutting across more recent little white ones did not bode well for his soulmate's wellbeing. 

Nico quickly raised his hand to be excused from his history class; he needed to keep an eye on these scars-- even for just a moment.

He wasn't expecting to meet his soulmate in the restroom. He was, however, unsurprised by the blade in the man's hand. The blood, was the real problem.

Nico recognized him. Will. Someone he had always thought was cute in their occasional shared classes. He always was too nervous to go talk to the boy who always seemed to radiate sunshine; it seems this was his chance.

"Are... you ok?" Stupid question; the man is bleeding Nico.

"Yeah. I'm perfectly fine." Will was scrambling to pull down his sleeves and hide the very obvious blade; stupid answer, he's perfect. 

"I am going to have to disagree with you there." Nico, in contrast to Will's clambering, slowly pulled up his sleeves to reveal matching lines. The most recent was a darker pink than the deep ones usually were. "We should probably get you to a doctor to take care of that. If the color of this," Nico traced it slowly, "reveals anything to me, you are probably losing a lot of blood and both of us are this calm purely from shock."

"I'm fi-"

"You're not. I've been seeing lines appear on my body like this for 5 years Will."

Will was silent, so Nico just grabbed the stupid man's hand and attempted to drag him to the nurse. Will pulled against him, so Nico was forced to look back at his soulmate as the man wiggled free.

"Why would you care?"

"I don't know if you haven't put it together yet, but we are soulma-"

"Yeah, soulmates, sure," He paused, probably trying to stall which made Nico even more desperate to get his soulmate some help, "but if I'm gone you're free of me."

It happened too quick for Nico to say anything or even stop Will's hands. The small blade that had been used to make the cuts was jammed into the glass of the mirror, Will carelessly pulled out a shard of glass that was probably too large and sharp to not do damage, the many odd cuts on Nico's hands reflecting the amount of wounds now on his soulmate, and thrust the glass straight into his stomach. 

"Will!"

---

Everything happened very quickly after that. Will was bleeding out, Nico had to call 911 and say that his soulmate just stabbed himself, and there was a lot of Will's blood that even looking at it made Nico feel faint. 

Even with the obvious worry and proof that Nico was Will's soulmate, they wouldn't let him ride in the ambulance. Nico didn't even care about returning to history class, and truthfully, he had enough small glass shards in his arms that he probably should follow the ambulance to the hospital. 

It wasn't like he hadn't skipped class before.

He left the building, bleeding a tiny bit, but very worried about his soulmate.

---

Nico got patched up very quickly. He was in the waiting room waiting for any sort of indication from the doctors that his soulmate was ok.

He didn't have to wait long, but it was enough for Nico to watch small little circles for what must've been an IV and barely noticeable small lines that must've been stitches appear. The longer he waited after the little lines stopped appearing the more worried he got. 

Every doctor and nurse that entered wasn't for Will. Why wasn't Will ok yet? Surely if his soulmate was dead he would be able to feel it right? They touched, sure, but they didn't have a true bond yet. Would he actually be able to tell if Will died?

His catastrophizing was silenced as a nurse came out and asked for any visitors for Will.

He felt like he was in slow motion, expecting the worst from the man.

"Is he...?"

The older man smiled down at Nico, clearly taking note of the scars that littered the younger man's wrists that mirrored the patient he had just helped; "Your soulmate is stable and expected to make a full recovery. Would you like to see him?"

"Please." Nico had never heard his voice soul so desperate before.

---

Will looked very different to how Nico was used to seeing him, but Nico supposed that is what almost dying did to a person. 

Will looked away guiltily when Nico strode up to him. He grabbed the other's hand carefully and squeezed it gently.

Will looked at him. "I promise, we will work through this. I'll help you. I know we don't really know each other that well, and I know that before today we had only really seen each other in passing, but I want to make this work Will. I want to get to know you, and you don't get to take that chance away from me when we only just met. Okay?"

Will's eyes glistened, and Nico's may have been a little wet as well as Will searched his face. 

It was a quiet answer. "Okay."

((☆))

Okay, so maybe the basic premise of this one shot is a little familiar. If you recognize it, I commend you because you would be totally right!

As a little treat, I decided to use a random number generator, pick a one shot that had an angsty ending, and make it have a happier end! The number generator picked 2-- in which Will dies. This is a much longer, probably angstier, but much happier ending version of that one shot. Certain events line up similarly like ages I use, but I am much happier with this version not gonna lie.

I hope you guys really enjoyed this one, and who knows, maybe at some point I will treat you guys to a happy ending one shot again. Also, this might be one of the longest ones at 1053 words. Look at me go!

Anyways Cakes,

CAKEY OUT!