39

Blood, red and vibrant, hits the pure white floor covered in the white, cold powdery snow.

  The snap of leather reaches his ears. The pain comes next. More burning hot pain. He doesn't react visibly- he can't or it'll get worse.

  The sickly sweet voice of his prince calls to him, "Poor, poor little thing." Another hit. "If only you had listened." A hand caresses his face and the closed eyes of the whipped one cannot see his face when the breath ghosts on his lips. The lips touch for a brief moment until the other pulls away and the pain resumes.

  More red liquid of life spills.

  "You should do well to remember, my darkness," the prince chuckles, "I told you this would happen had someone found out."

  Breath, raspy and sore, the one of darkness whispers in hate and sorrow, "Why?"

  "You lied." The last word is emphasized with a brutal hit near the mid back.

  "I told you my father would come..." He says, "I truly didn't know he would hurt them though."

  "I don't believe you."

  "Please Will..."

  The blood is still spilling, but the strikes with leather have stopped.

  "Nico. You betrayed my trust. You can no longer use my given first name."

  "Please... Prince of the Light. I love you."

  Nico opens his eyes and sees the other, Will's, face in front of his with a large, sadistic smile and a small knife in hand.

  "Poor, poor, prince of the dark. I loved you too. Once." He trails the knife down Nico's face. "But now, you caused my mother's death. You said your father would not hurt her. You said we could trust him." Will makes a cut across Nico's chest, more blood drips, "You are the reason she's dead."

  "Will..." Nico's breath is barely there, he has almost lost too much blood.

  "I love you no more."

  Tears on his face, Nico whispers with his last breath... "I love you still... and forev..."

  The cold winter catches up to Will and he stands shivering, the cold and darkness seems to attack him more now that their master has died. Shadows surround him but Will pushed them back. Looking around at the blood stained snow, Will almost laughs.

  "He was pathetic, how could I have ever loved him?"

  The small woody clearing of snow, blood, and the corpse disappeared behind Will, but he had the memory in his mind.

  His past love, the murder, was dead. And that was all that mattered.

  Now, he could run his kingdom.