III- Lost and Found

Tuesday 12th,

" 'They said that Mom has died. That she will not be there anymore. I can't believe it. I don't want to. Please Mom, come back home !'

I was waiting for her but she never showed up. I started to understand that my world no longer exists, that I will never wake up from this nightmare, that I would never again see her smile or smell her scent or hear the sweet melody of her voice. What's more, I would never see my father again. The only thing I can do is to cry, to cry all the tears in my body. They just abandoned me.

The next day, at the funeral, I no longer had the strength, I was there, with an empty gaze and a clouded mind. I will never see my mom again. I looked around me with a hint of hope, that mom was surely somewhere with dad, that this person was just a dead man like so many others.

They promised me that they will always be there for me, that all I have to do is to call them to come. Then, I slipped through the crowd and started heading for the gate. "During Sophie's grandfather's funeral, mum stayed by the gate", I thought, when I felt a hand grip my arms. I tried to ignore her and continue my way, but she was blocking my path. I lifted my head and came face to face with Michel. He followed me.

'Leave me, I want to go out.'

'No, you'll get lost, otherwise, come on,' he said pulling me

'No, I don't! I want to see my mom, leave me!' I replied grimacing

'You don't have a mom anymore, she's there in this box like my grandfather so stop talking nonsense,' he scolded me.

I couldn't take it anymore. I shook my head briskly, holding back my tears. In vain, I burst into tears while refuting everything he said. Michel clumsily took me in his arms and stroked my hair. Certainly, he had previously lost a beloved one, nonetheless, he understood that it was less painful compared to mine.

We stayed like that for a while before the parents noticed our disappearance and started looking for us. This day ended slowly. Sometimes I would like to go back to childhood, because despite my grief, I could quickly forget it thanks to our games and our pettiness. Weeks passed, and I began to mourn. I lived with my neighbours, which would at least made me no longer an only child.

And since they are my parents' friends, I would be fine with them. It delighted me. Sacred innocence of childhood ! Later I learned that I had to live with my aunt. Not that I don't like it, far from it, I've always enjoyed the holidays I've spent with them and I do not particularly blame them; I just think she's way too busy. She never really had time for her son, so I was apprehensive about how she would be with me.

However, I could not help it. I packed my bags and bade farewell to my neighbors and my home.

'Write to us often and don't forget to bring some packets of crisps when you come back for the holidays, Sophie shouted at me.'

'Of course,' I replied with a little laugh.

'And for me, dolls, 'said Iris excitedly, ' no I want...'

' Calm down children, said their parents, Quick, Sophie, let go of her sneakers...'

My departure was a huge hubbub. Anyone present would have concluded that she would never leave. Despite the commotion, I ended up getting out of the house.

'Finally, it's not too soon,'
exclaimed my aunt.

'Sorry for that, children... You know it...,' the mother apologized.

The young lady gave her an apologetic look and then added :

'Well, come in, now, the plane won't be waiting for us, and Miguel can't wait to see you again.'

I walked towards the entrance of the car when I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned and saw Michel. He glanced at my aunt for permission and asked a desperate question.

'Should you really go?' The adults looked at each other, lost.

'Yes, but... don't worry, I'll be back soon,' I tried to reassure him shyly. I didn't even know if I would come back again.

'Do you promise me?' he said, holding out his little finger.

'I promise you, cross of wood, cross of iron,' I replied, smiling. I really hope so too.

He took me in his arms and kissed my cheek. I admitted he left me with a blush.

Then came his sisters, imitating him.

After a few farewells, the car finally started heading towards my aunt's home."

***

"Along the way, I fell asleep. Finally, we stopped and my aunt again shook me to wake me up. I was a little bit surprised when I found out that I never have known this place. The house was huge, I admit it, but it wasn't the one I remembered.

' Where are we ?' was the first sentence that came out of my mouth.

' We are at home darling, welcome to your new home,' replied the man earlier.

I didn't trust him. I didn't know him, he didn't know me and he allowed himself to call me like that. Only dad had the right. But he is no longer there. I looked at my puzzled aunt.

She seemed to understand because she stroked my head saying:

' Since Mr. Wilbert and I are getting married this Saturday, we moved to his place, so be nice, he will be your godfather, okay ! '

I nodded my head without much conviction. 'Poor Miguel, I don't know what he thinks of all this but I don't really like it. I don't feel good about this man.' My bitter thoughts were interrupted by the latter's cries.

'When we're talking about the wolf!'
I quickly forgot my apprehensions and went out to meet him. He showed me around the house with the permission of the adults and then we ended our day cleaning up and playing video games."