XVII- Birth of truths

The investigation was becoming increasingly satisfying. Axel did not even need to resort to force, as the manager, a chubby old man, behaved like a friend. Despite his advanced age, his memory did not fail him. Far from it, he remembered a certain young man who had frequented his establishment—a sharp-minded, well-educated guy, the ideal type for all women.

"By the way, you really look like him, child!" he mentioned between anecdotes.

Though Axel intended to receive simple and direct answers, he had to endure the old man's stories. Initially surprised by his father's praises, Axel became less so as the tales unfolded. His father was indeed regarded highly by this man. Impatient by nature, Axel almost interrupted when a detail caught his attention.

"If you had seen the faces of his groupies when he brought a young girl here, they cried for a whole week!"

"Can you tell me about this woman, this girl? Who was she? His girlfriend?"

"Easy, young man, that's what we all hoped for, but unfortunately not. A tall brunette, stunning, with metallic blue eyes, believe me, my boy, I've never seen anything like it. Like a sapphire. Rich kid, yes, but living a simple life. They were studying together, it seems. They often came here to talk. Intellectuals, always with strange words. But they were inseparable. It lasted for years, and then one day, she didn't come anymore.

Neither did he, for a few weeks, and when we saw him again, he was not the same. He withdrew into himself. He became a shadow, entering and disappearing in silence. It was clear he loved that girl. But this love seemed to be one-sided. Poor man! You youngsters! Shortly after, we never saw her again. I wonder what happened to that lad! That love truly made him suffer. He really loved that woman. I know what I'm saying!"

After this revelation, the manager swiftly changed the topic, as if nothing had happened. Axel couldn't believe it—his father, in love? It was unimaginable! Yet, there was coherence between the old man's words and his father's confession during their last one-on-one.

"I was so obsessed with that woman that I could have killed her."

That sentence still echoed in his mind.

Unveiling an unexpected impulse, Axel randomly showed a picture of Arele to the old man, who widened his eyes.

"Yes, yes, she looks a lot like this girl!" he exclaimed, same appearance, same features. "And those eyes, I'd recognize them anywhere! Is she his daughter? And who are you?"

If Axel had hoped for any trace of his mother in this conversation, he was led to a more complex truth, yet far from unpleasant. Back at his desk, he instructed his team to investigate Arele's mother, as she was likely the person they were talking about. The dossier he received was crystal clear.

Moebi Hartland, BBA and social sciences graduate from Berkeley, probably where they met, eldest daughter of the founder and former CEO of the Artland company; married to Luc Dark Obby, mother of Arele Dark Obby, who died in a car accident 12 years ago.

Seemingly ordinary to the eyes of ordinary people, yet Axel knew it was just a facade.

"Send me everything on the April 15th accident involving Moebi Dark Obby. Also, find out about Luc Dark Obby," he ordered his men.

"Maybe you're cunning, father, but I am no less. I will soon uncover your secrets, and I swear I won't let you get away with it like this!"

***

I'm truly sorry; I should never have caused you pain, not like this. I love you so much, if only you knew. I only realized it too late. Now that you're no longer here, my heart, soul, and body cry out for you with all their strength. Could you ever forgive me, even just one day?