XIII- Partners in Pursuit

A few days had passed since the last meeting between Michel and Arele. The young man lacked the courage to see her again out of fear of her reaction. The same problem persisted on the surface. At least he could make sure she didn't do anything foolish, considering she was more rational than she appeared.

However, a bad feeling had been gnawing at him in recent days. Unable to bear it any longer, he decided to go to her place. He rang the doorbell several times, but no one answered. Her car was parked in the courtyard, though. Concluding that she must be occupied elsewhere, he left and returned the next day, and the day after. But still, nothing changed. Worried, he ended up breaking down the door.

The living room was as he had left it the last time. Nothing had moved. Even the crease on the couch where he had been sitting. Everything seemed unnaturally frozen. This heightened his anxiety. Could she have committed suicide? No, impossible. He started shouting her name while searching every room. But in vain. He finally entered the last room, hesitating to open it at first: her bedroom.

As he entered, he was greeted by complete darkness; the shutters were closed and no light illuminated the room. Panicking, he turned on the light, searching every corner but finding nothing except an unmade bed and scattered slippers, signs that it was the last place she had been. Michel widened his eyes, his detective instinct taking over.

Arele was in danger. He examined the room more carefully. His instinct rarely led him astray, and it was one of the keys to his success. He was able to formulate his hypothesis in no time, and it frightened him. She had indeed been kidnapped. By whom, where, and why, he did not know. Did she have enemies? Unless it was connected to the Artland company.

He had to act quickly. If her abductor was truly linked to the company, his friend's life was undoubtedly in danger. He knew very well who could be behind all this, and what she wanted was nothing less than the elimination of any successor who could lead it. In the past, this same person had already disposed of one element.

Only this last one remained. He had indeed discovered that Miguel's death was by no means an ordinary accident. His car had been tampered with; the rear brake had failed. But the evidence had been tampered with, as always. As he inspected the room, he gathered every available clue and then left.

***

Driving had never been so tiring. Finally on vacation, Fathim Mahed decided to pay her friend a surprise visit. It had been a long time since they had seen each other. Since the graduation ceremony, five years ago. Despite staying in touch, nothing could replace face-to-face interaction. She chuckled to herself, thinking about the cold reception her friend would give her.

That's how she had always been, but over time, she had gradually become more open and warm. One of the few qualities she particularly admired in her friend was her honesty. She was excited to see her again. Even though she knew her friend had a taste for secluded places, she didn't suspect her to live in such a remote area. But it suited her well.

Fathim had rented a car, knowing it would be more convenient than taking taxis in the long run. Finally, she arrived at her friend's address. To her surprise, she saw a man coming out of the apartment and locking the door.

"Did I get the wrong address?" she wondered.

Yet, it was the address Arele had given her. She got out of the vehicle and hurried toward him.

"Excuse me! Wait! Sir!"

However, the man seemed not to hear her. When she reached him, she had to stop him before he closed his car door.

"Sorry! I assume you speak English, right?
I called out to you, but you didn't hear me. I saw you coming out of this apartment," she pointed to it, "and I wanted to make sure I didn't get the wrong address."