XXI- Unexpected Alliances

Their tête-à-tête had eventually borne fruit, more than Fathim could have imagined. Axel was her half-brother. She could hardly believe it. But ultimately, it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Now, all she had to do was convince Michel to cooperate with "the enemy."

Back home, she checked on the children. They were fast asleep. She gazed at them for a long moment. How beautiful they were! Under different circumstances, she would gladly admit her best friend was lucky. However, perhaps it was better this way. Especially now, with the father's identity confirmed. Genetics never lie.

They had her brother's features. The little one had the same gray eyes as their father, while the boy had their mother's. And she was their aunt. This story would soon come to an end. Patrick Wilbert would be nothing but a distant memory, thrown into oblivion. They would be reunited, stronger than ever. She was convinced of it. Hope shone in her heart.

Lost in her thoughts, Fathim didn't notice her roommate, who had been watching her from the doorway for a while.

"What are you thinking about?" he remarked, making her jump.

"Oh! Sorry, I didn't realize you were there!" she replied, cheeks flushed.

"So?" he insisted.

"Well, nothing special! I was just thinking about what's to come! Speaking of which, I have something to tell you."

They left the room, making sure to close the door, and headed to the living room.

"I've found the key piece of our investigation!" she started

"Really?" Michel was excited, although he didn't show it.

"But before I tell you, promise me to approach this matter rationally and listen to me until the end!"

She was genuinely concerned about his reaction.

He nodded, perplexed.

The young woman sighed and began to explain her recent discoveries and what she had undertaken to do. He flinched but, true to himself, remained impassive.

"This goes far beyond simple revenge or a thirst for power. Our respective parents were colleagues. This Jacob Kennedy whom Patrick Wilbert destroyed everything ... That's my mother's version of the story. And she also revealed to me that I have a half-brother, Wilbert's son, you see, the father of the twins..."

Michel felt his blood boil. He clenched his fists so tightly that his knuckles turned white. The tormentor of his best friend was, in fact, the half-brother of this woman in whom he trusted. Now, she spoke of him so casually.

"... I decided to meet him this morning."

She mentioned every detail of their conversation to him.

"As perceptive as he is, I knew he had already discovered things about his father. I laid out the information that belonged to us, and he finally agreed to ally with us. He is our key player. He holds more information than us and, even though it pains me to admit it, more power. With the three of us, it's easier to stop Wilbert."

That was the last straw. Michel exploded.

"How, how could you do this behind my back? You know he's the cause of her suffering! Damn it, and you want us to cooperate? With a murderer? Brother or not, I'll never let him get away with it, he'll pay for his actions!"

Fathim was taken aback. She expected him to be angry or upset, but not to explode in anger. He, who was usually calm and composed, had just lost his temper. She could only understand him. In his place, she would have reacted the same way. The most important thing was to let him calm down and think things through.