XIX- Family Reckonings

Axel straightens up upon hearing her voice. He never thought she would find him. He knew her capabilities, indicating competence in her field, but he never suspected she'd manage to locate him. Despite his precautions, she pulled something from her pocket: Arele's necklace. He had forgotten about that. He must have dropped it when they collided last time.

"Damn, I didn't pay attention!" he cursed at himself.

"You let your guard down," she said without flinching.

"Hmm, since you were so perceptive, why come only now and alone?" he asked sarcastically, "unless you've lost your senses and forgotten you've just walked into the lion's den."

"I know!" she responded nonchalantly, "I know what you've done, and more. I know who you are and who you work for!"

"Tsss, without proof, you can't touch me! And even with it, you won't get far because I'll make sure you stay silent forever."

"Indeed! You're right, I don't have enough evidence to convict you, but enough to implicate you in this matter. As for the second option, it's unnecessary. You know as well as I do who the real enemy is."

He bitterly chuckled at her insinuation. "I'm curious to know who you're referring to!"

"Your father! Patrick Wilbert or should I say Jacob Kennedy."

"How did you..." he exclaimed.

"How did I know? Your father is a very meticulous man, indeed. Leaving no trace of his life as Jacob Kennedy. He's very clean. He even managed to distance Arele's father and silently assassinate him, keeping the Rangers quiet. College buddies, right? But he forgot someone. Since you've investigated it well, this name should ring a bell: Emily Clay. She hasn't disappeared yet, and she's my mother. She knows the whole story."

Axel could not believe it. He did not really care about this person, as she had disappeared from their lives immediately. How was this possible? This game had become so frivolous that it was starting to lose its meaning. Before he could ponder further, she resumed:

"What I'm about to tell you is quite delicate. You have the right to believe it or not, to be angry or not, but I just ask that you listen carefully. Your father has long made you believe that your mother is dead, hasn't he? Well, she's not. Jacob did indeed plan to get rid of her, like the others, but he failed. Someone helped her, and she left to live with him. She entrusted me with this letter for you."

The young woman pulled an envelope out of her pocket and handed it to him. He took it, trembling. After so much searching, was his mother finally going to make contact? And why through this woman he barely knew? Unless she was setting a trap for him. Despite his apprehension, he eventually gave in, so strong was his curiosity.

"My son,

I am so sorry for all the years you had to spend without me. You must surely resent me, and I can only understand. I also don't know what your father may have told you about me, but know that I have never forgotten you. You are free to believe me or not, but I don't want you to remain in the dark about our story for long. Your father and I were never lovers, or anything of the sort, but I was in love with him. He only had eyes for her. You will probably hear about her one day. I did everything to rid myself of this one-sided love, but I couldn't. I closed my eyes to the happiness they breathed together, even though they claimed to be just friends. It hurt me, certainly, but I was happy for them.

With time, I eventually accepted that this love was impossible. I resigned myself to it. After all, he had always been my friend. But everything changed in one night. She had just married one of our best friends. Your father was so unhappy that I couldn't bear to leave him alone. He drank himself into a stupor all evening. Seeing him in that state affected me so much that I realized I had been wrong about my feelings. I still loved him. That night was my dearest dream but also the beginning of my nightmare. Caught up in my emotions, I let myself go. I thought he finally saw me. But the next day, he cast me aside like a cheap object. He had changed; he wasn't the man I loved or the friend I knew. Later, I found out I was pregnant-with you, my son. Be assured, you are one of the most beautiful things that ever happened to me. I have never regretted having you. What I regretted was telling him about your existence.

Your father was thrilled to have you, so happy that he treated me like the most beloved woman I had ever been. I was over the moon. You, my baby, your father, and I, were living the good life. Nine months passed. Then you were born. A cute little chunk of a man. And you were so fat. I still remember the first time I held you in my arms. The first and the last time. You had just been born. I was seeing you for the first time, but I was too tired to hold you for long. When I woke up, you were gone. He later revealed that he no longer needed me, that the child was in good hands, that I could leave. I was devastated. I thought he had accepted me, that we were finally a family. I tried to claim you back, but he ended up threatening my life.

I have no real memory of what might have happened. I simply woke up in unfamiliar territory, with a foreigner whose identity I didn't know. This person has helped me tremendously, and even today, I am indebted to him. I'm not telling you all this so that you'll hate your father; no, hatred and vengeance, my son, are futile. Remember that; I simply don't want you to be held back in the shadow of this malicious man. I fought long and hard to free you from his clutches, but I failed. I'm truly sorry. But know that I love you, that I always think of you, and that you are always in my heart. If you receive this letter, it means you have met your little sister, Fathim. Love her, my son, don't misunderstand her. Remember that I will always watch over you!

Emily Clay"

Time stood still. The shock was evident on his face. How, how on earth could he have missed this? The truth was right there in front of him? Emily Clay, she was his mother? His father had fed him more lies. Or had he? He knew she was alive, but he didn't know why all traces of her had been erased. He had called her a 'whore,' damn it, what a piece of trash he was! Lies! Lies! His life was nothing but lies, and his very existence was just a facade. This revelation enraged and painted him at the same time. He was confused.

"Why?" he finally asked after a long moment.

Caught off guard, Fathim did not immediately grasp the meaning of his question. She expected doubts, an explosion of anger, or threats, not this unsettling calm. She knew this truth would shake him, just as it had shaken her when her mother had told her, just last month. I mean, her middle school tormentor was actually her half-brother? Their parents had kept the secret for so long, to protect her, but also him.

Her mother, who had already changed her identity, had revealed it to her when she vaguely mentioned Arele's family situation. It wasn't like her at all, and she surprised herself. Yet she had the evidence right there. Their story fascinated her, but she also felt sorry for it. A real puzzle! Now that she stood facing this man, her doubts disappeared. He had the features of her mother, and the same gray eyes as herself. Her brother! It squeezed her heart. He must have suffered in his childhood, with this fearless and heartless man.

Once again, she resented him for setting his sights on her best friend, but among other things, this man was the cause. She was more than determined to make them pay for what they had done. In this world, everything comes with a price.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hello, hello,
Sorry for late uploading chapter.
I hope you're always around.
The big enigma is here now.
Axel and Fathim are half brothers ?
How do you think?
Don't forget to comment (ʘᴗʘ✿)

See you soon...♥╣[-_-]╠♥