X- Bad news

After a long and exhausting day, Arele finally managed to get back home. Driving her Porsche, she played some soft music and started humming along. Soon, she would be able to take a warm bath and get into her comfortable bed. This week was going to be tough. Not that she disliked her job, but she had been feeling emotionally drained lately, especially after her encounter with Michel Randers.

At least, she would not have any chance of seeing him again. Finally home, she entered her apartment complex, parked her car, and put the key in the door, only to notice that it was slightly open. Frowning, she cautiously entered, wondering if she had forgotten to lock it before leaving. Impossible! Well, she did have moments of forgetfulness. Taking a deep breath, she headed towards the bathroom but was interrupted by the doorbell.

Perplexed, she wondered who it could be. She rarely, if ever, had visitors, especially not at night. Putting on some clothes, she opened the door and came face to face with Michel. He was the last person she wanted to see, let alone talk to.

"Hello," he greeted, noticing she was still in a daze.

"Uh, yes, good evening," she replied awkwardly. "Can I help you?"

"Can I come in?" he asked.

"Uh, yes, please this way," she said, letting him in.

As Michel looked at the young woman before him, he blushed slightly. She was only wearing a tank top and a mini-short. Realizing her attire, Arele became aware of her appearance and quickly apologized to change into something else. He nodded, averting his gaze. While the young woman disappeared, Michel took the opportunity to survey the place.

The apartment was both stylish and modest, nothing extravagant but far from ordinary. He also noticed some portraits hanging on the wall.

"I made them," she said, sneaking up on him, as his agent instincts seemed less effective now that he was at her place.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you. You draw really well. When did you start?" he inquired.

"Thank you! I started in high school, I guess," she replied.

"Wow! Do you exhibit them somewhere?" he asked.

"No, it's a personal matter !"

"Well, I see!"

Arele grew impatient; she desperately wanted to know why he was there and, more importantly, how he found her address. But he seemed deliberately prolonging the wait. Unable to hold back any longer, she took the lead.

"Michel ! Can you tell me why you're here so suddenly?"

Surprised and slightly offended by her sudden coldness, he tried to lighten the mood.

"Don't I have the right to have a one-on-one chat with my old friend?"

However, he received a stern look, the same one she had given him the last time to dissuade him from pursuing his flattery.

Realizing she was serious, he went on:

"Alright, sit down first."

The young woman complied without replying, and he understood that she couldn't wait to get rid of him. He sighed.

"I'm all ears," she said without much emotion.

"So, where do I begin…" he hesitated.

"First, how did you find my address?" she interrupted.

"Yes, of course! I stayed at the same inn as you, so I was able to trace your itinerary using the GPS." he told

Arele could not believe it; he dared to follow her. Alright, but how did she not notice him? The inn was almost empty. True, she was lost in her thoughts that evening. Anyway, she should be more vigilant in the future. Seeing her expression, he quickly justified himself:

"Listen, I know it's not very proper, but I know you wouldn't want to see me again, so it was the only way I could think of. I just need to talk to you about several urgent matters."

Which was a lie; revealing what he did would only make things worse, and he wanted to avoid that. The tension was already overwhelming enough.

"Alright! If it's that urgent, why didn't you mention it back there?"

"Because you would have wanted me to come to you?"

"No!"

Her response cut like a blade, and a heavy silence fell upon them. Feeling extremely uncomfortable, Michel wanted to escape her icy gaze. He almost regretted coming, but he would not back down. This Arele was not the same as before, but if he wanted to get the real her back, he had to stand his ground and be patient.

"I know you're upset with us, but I don't want to make things worse for you. However, you're right; I'm not here by chance. I came to bring you some news, which are indeed not good."

Although she remained stoic, the young girl felt anxiety rising within her.

He sighed again before continuing,

"Your aunt is seriously ill; she has been hospitalized for two months. The company is in a very bad situation right now…"

"Do you suggest that I come back? She asked you to convince me, didn't she?" she said sarcastically, interrupting him,
"No thanks, you can go back, I won't return there, under any circumstances. Why didn't she ask Miguel to do it? He can handle it."

"Um, yes, about that, it's the second thing I was going to tell you. Miguel…" He paused before continuing, "Miguel is no longer with us."

Arele took a long time to process what she just heard.

"Excuse me? You're joking, right ? Because it's not funny at all."

Michel lowered his head without saying anything, and his silence confirmed the seriousness of his statement. Arele could not believe her ears, but she managed to keep a composed demeanor, much to his surprise.

"Tell me everything," she simply said after a silence.

"It happened a year and a half ago. He had an accident on the night of their graduation ball. He couldn't be saved. Since then, your aunt has been very unstable. The doctor recommended that she stay away from any stressful activities. But her condition kept deteriorating, so we had to hospitalize her. Wilbert is managing the company now, but everything is falling apart. Arele, they need you. She needs you."

She let out a bitter laugh. Miguel passed away, and no one bothered to inform her. Even the last letter from her aunt, which was less than half a year old, did not mention that fact. And now, they dare to claim they need her. Granted, Artland is rightfully hers, but for now, she did not want it, especially after learning that the only person who could have motivated her to return and face her past was no longer among the living.

Arele made a superhuman effort to hide her tears, but Michel noticed it. He remembered the little girl trying to run away from the cemetery at her mother's funeral. On the other hand, he saw a young woman torn by rage and despair. He wanted to hold her, to console her. But he also feared her reaction, so he did nothing. He was not wrong as she asked him to leave, which he reluctantly agreed to, leaving her to her privacy until she calmed down and acted more reasonably. However, he did not leave right away, staying nearby to ensure she did not do anything reckless.