IX- Echoes of the Past

In a bar, located near a tea factory, there sits a young man in his twenties. He was seated in a corner, alone, sipping on a bottle of whisky, observing his surroundings. A little later, a scantily dressed young woman approached him, dancing, and invited him to join her, a proposition he didn't hesitate to accept.

He was used to these kinds of encounters. He is quite the playboy, the type that melted the hearts of many girls. However, there is only one person on his mind: the one he stole a kiss from a long time ago. The one who used to enjoy challenging and teasing him. She was just a kid back then, weird and cold; he did not quite like her himself.

In fact, he loathed her. Her haughty and icy behavior, her constant need to compete with him, he did not like any of it at all. To be honest, although he would never admit it, she intimidated him, and that feeling was so unpleasant. That is why, on that afternoon, twelve years ago, when he had found her alone in the school corridors, he has acted on impulse.

He wanted to destabilize her so much, and he has succeeded. He would give anything to see that expression on her face again. Unfortunately, the teacher caught them. He would have liked to tease her again after that, but he got expelled, mostly because of that girl.

Even today, she occupied his thoughts, not because he loved her, far from it, but because he was going to get revenge, he would destroy her, for his sake, and also for someone else's. In any case, he does not want to disappoint that person anymore. Arele Dark Obby will be soon a story. Her fortune would belong to him. With these thoughts, he chuckled, fueled by emotion and alcohol.

***

Michel was determined to see Arele again at all costs, to talk to her, to help her. Unfortunately, he did not even know her address, and there was a strong chance he would not run into her again. Although his job as a CIA agent would have allowed him to find her quickly, he did not want to resort to that.

Michel Randers was at the top of his class and had access to various confidential information from the US government and its allies, companies, and individuals all over the world. He was even occasionally allied with the FBI.

After hours of work, he decided to go for the quick solution: searching for her. Once he found what he was looking for, he felt relieved but also anxious. What should he do now? Arele is twenty-one now and about to join the Artland company. However, would she be willing to come back? He must convince her.

The situation is critical; they have hidden too many things from her, and revealing them will likely plunge her into darkness even further. But he must do it; he promised her aunt. With his hands on his neck, Michel did not know what to do.

Aline had asked him to find her and inform her about the current situation of the company and her health. But when he arrived at the recommended address, she has already moved. He did not want to use his authority out of fear of her reaction.

He prayed, in a way, that fate would bring them together. His prayer was answered when they bumped into each other that evening. He had just been dealing with an urgent matter in Jinshan, and he never thought he would come across her.

However, her demeanor frightened him; she was distant and too defensive. He could not back down now; she must know and decide for herself what to do next. He just hoped she would be more understanding. In any case, he would not let her face everything alone anymore because she is his sister, his friend, and his childhood love.

***

March 4th,

"It's the first time in my life that I'm running late. I wanted to break free from the routine this weekend, to bring some order to my life and finally put an end to my past. I had everything planned: I'd go to Jinshan for the weekend and head straight to work on Monday. After all, an hour's drive would only cost me an hour's sleep.

But guess what? Because I spent the night dwelling on the past and Michel, I didn't even hear my alarm go off. Thankfully, the traffic was good, and my boss was absent; otherwise, I would have been penalized. I've been working as an artificial intelligence specialist (AI) for a while now. I started as an intern, but they eventually hired me part-time. That's why I decided to move closer to my work and SJTU. Well, just hope that haunting past will end there."

***

Sitting in his office, Axel Kennedy twirled his pen, inspecting the files in his possession. Soon, he will find himself leading a major company that won't even be his, much to his great unhappiness. Although he enjoyed chasing after money, he was not someone who followed formalities.

He was more involved in illegal activities, leading a secretive organization in the black markets, unbeknownst to everyone. If it were up to him, he would have been content with that, but his father wanted him to assist him. At least, this position would help clear his name and, at the same time, expand his authority, getting him everything he wants.

Starting with his vengeance against that girl he despised so much. The girl who dared to question his reputation and pride. What's even funnier was that this very same girl was the one his father wanted to eliminate at all costs. When he found out, he did not hesitate to take care of her.

He would relish in his revenge: torturing her a little or a lot, depending on his mood, humiliating her, and finally killing her. She would reap what she had sown, that girl, Arele Dark Obby.

"Boss, you have an urgent call," he was pulled out of his thoughts by his henchman, who handed him the phone.

He gestured for the henchman to leave and picked up the receiver.

"You're quite busy, my son, to forget about your old father!"

He knew his father well enough to know that he never called out of kindness. He was impatient, authoritative, especially when it came to his own interests. Truth be told, the two of them were very much alike, even though they had never been close in any way. This man had never really cared for him. He only cared about himself.

His mother, he had never known her. He said that she died when he was very young. He had no memory of her. The only years he lived with his father were his first five years. After that, he went to boarding school and only returned for holidays until his father married a woman who knew nothing about his existence.

Today, that woman was greatly weakened by the premature death of her son. All this without her niece's knowledge. What a pity! From time to time, he cursed his own offspring for being such a bad person, but he was far from being the best, so he did not care about it.

"I'm taking my time," he replied slyly.

"Don't let yourself get too relaxed; the fish will end up escaping us."

"Don't worry; I'm just waiting for the right moment."

"I hope you won't disappoint me. The girl has come of age; she will return."

"If you say so, but I'm not so sure. She hates going back there."

"Maybe, but not when she finds out what happened here, and I don't think that will take long. You see, her dear aunt, though disabled, had the charming idea to send someone to warn her."

"Do you think she suspects you?"

"Nothing is impossible, my son. I want you to act fast before he finds her again. The information about him is in the card I sent you. You know where to find her. I'll leave it to you now."

"Understood!"

After ending the call, Axel pondered for a moment about what he would do next and then called his men.

"You're calling, Boss?"

"Get ready; we have a target to eliminate."

They bowed in agreement and left.
Alone again, he reviewed his plans. He would give her a few days to discover the latest news and fall into deep silence. It remained to be seen if the person his stepmother sent to her is the one he thought and what information that person possessed. A simple camera setup would complete the plan. Foolish girl, her thirst for solitude and independence would be her downfall.

"China, here I come…"