XX- Turn Against The Evil

"Why should I believe you? This could be a trap! Why did you come to see me and spill all this? I could very well use this information and not let you go anymore !"

The young man's reaction was entirely understandable. In his place, she would have acted the same. But she was certain she could trust him for the future.

"Oh, well, because I know deep down inside you, there's someone good; that even if you try to hide it, this path isn't truly the one you wanted to choose; that like so many others, you've lived to fulfill someone else's greed; that you're human, that you have a heart; you deserve to know but more than anything, because you're Mom's son. You're my brother."

Axel was left speechless. What a speech! But eventually, he burst into laughter. A laugh so sinister, one hand covering his face, that for a moment, she truly thought he had lost his mind.

"You know what ? What do you exactly know?"

His voice was filled with anger.

"Tell me, little sister, what do you know that makes you so confident ? Do you know about what I've been through, about my feelings?"

He rose from his desk and dangerously approached the young woman. She instinctively backed away, frightened. One can expect anything from him, but this change was so sudden that she lost her balance.

"Speak!" he almost shouted.

"I..."

"No, you know nothing! Absolutely nothing! About the deep-seated aversion against the whole world that has grown within me; about the desire to destroy that overwhelms me every day; about the guilt that assails me; about the darkness I've been crushing since I was a kid. You know nothing about any of this!" He yelled, towering over her, hitting the wall near her head. "It's you who had the chance to live in a happy family, to have a mother all to yourself. She chose you over me. Damn it, she abandoned me! She left me with that lunatic!"

She had never seen such rage before. He was so sad and angry that she noticed a tear forming at the corner of his eye. Nevertheless, she remained silent, knowing full well that he needed to vent.

Axel felt a strong urge to strangle the woman standing before him, but he couldn't bring himself to do it. Strangely, he lacked the courage. Those big gray eyes dissuaded him. Eyes that clearly reflected his own. Damn it! He eventually shifted away from her and slumped onto the couch. He had unloaded all his resentments onto her, and for the first time, he felt lighter.

"Arele, I'm sorry!"

"You've won, I'm done. I've even lost the desire to kill you. Do whatever you want," he finally capitulated, throwing his head back, a bitter smile on his lips.

"I'm not here to arrest you, big brother..."

He straightened up at the sound of that title. It was strange but comforting. He wasn't alone anymore. For a moment, he saw the little girl he had bullied long ago. Unconsciously, he smiled. A genuine smile this time, which encouraged Fathim to continue.

"I want to offer you a deal."

He looked at her perplexed.

"What kind?" he asked, curious.

"I have enough evidence to accuse you of... of Arele's murder, but not enough to expose Wilbert. However, you have it."

"You want us to cooperate? Tsss, anyway, it's useless now, she's dead! "

Fathim held back from telling him the truth. She had agreed with Michel to keep Arele's survival a secret. However, the circumstances had changed significantly. The children, and their intertwined past. Still, she wanted to confirm her thoughts.

"You're quite used to getting rid of anything that bothers you, aren't you?"

Axel scrutinized her suspiciously.

"Well, I thought you'd agree to help me get rid of someone who has been obstructing our happiness for years. But I guess I got the wrong person. Oh well, bye! Anyway, all we can do now is pray for justice to be served."

"Hey, where do you think you're going like that? I haven't had my say yet."

"So, you're in?"

"What do I get out of it at least?"

"A clear conscience, peace of mind, maybe a few years in prison, and goodbye to the mafia world."

"No thanks, not interested!"

"And a surprise!"

He raised his eyebrows at this last admission. A surprise? He never liked surprises. It was frustrating.

"Well, I'm kidding, but seriously, how far are you willing to go to make up for your mistakes?"

Although her question sounded like a trap, he had already surrendered long ago. If he had met Arele under different circumstances, things would surely have been different. He had never been romantic, but he worshipped what was dear to him. Today, he realized how much she meant to him. He loved her, his father hadn't been wrong, but the education he had instilled in him confused love and obsession, desire and hatred, vanity, playing with life and death.

But it was too late. He was blinded by a vengeance that did not even belong to him. He was nothing but a puppet. So yes, he was willing to do anything to avenge her, even if it meant murdering. Killing, he was made for it.

"I'm going to kill him!" he exclaimed, determined.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Easy there, buddy! We'll arrest him, but according to the rules this time."

Lost in his thoughts, he had already forgotten her presence. According to the rules? He did not trust the law. Sometimes, satisfaction can only be achieved by one's own hands.

"I understand your reluctance," she reassured him as if she had guessed his thoughts, "but can I ask you to trust me?"

This woman, in just a few hours, had managed to change his perception of things. Although hesitant, he ultimately surrendered to her. If she ever betrayed him, he would kill her without hesitation. For the first time, he truly looked at her. They did bear some resemblance. His half-sister. His mother's daughter. He deduced that their mother had the same eye color as theirs. However, she had darker skin and curly hair.

"You almost made me wish you were my father's daughter," he said after a moment, mocking.

"I'll take that as a yes!" she exclaimed, almost hopping with joy.

"Seriously!" he exclaimed, exasperated by her childish behavior.

"Well, let's just say it's the third piece of good news I've heard this year. I'm all excited!"

"And what are the other two?" he asked, curious.

"The first one was finding out I have a brother, I always dreamed of having one, although I'm a bit disappointed it's you!"

Axel widened his eyes, indignant.

"No, I'm kidding, and the second one, well, it's a surprise!" she continued, laughing at the expression he pulled.

"Well, I hope for your sake that this surprise will be good, otherwise I'll blow your brains out," he said in a seriousness that made Fathim pale, believing his words for a moment.

"I'm kidding," he laughed, patting her head, "Sis, you should've seen your face!"

They both burst into laughter.

"Yeah, right, I'm not done with you yet!" she exclaimed, playfully hitting his arm.

"But if I find out you've been manipulating me, you know what's coming!" he concluded, after they both regained their composure.

"Of course, of course..."

-----------------------------------------------------------

Hello everyone,
Here is the unexpected truth, we've waited for.
What do you think about it ?
Give your opinion on comment 😄