Katakuri x reader: what could have been

"It's been a long time," the woman's voice purred, "way too long." She slipped into the seat next to Katakuri.

Katakuri glanced to the side, most people weren't confident enough to sit next to him let alone talk to him. It took him a long second to recognize the half-giant. In his defense It had been quite a while since he'd seen her, must have been at least 20 years. He felt a smile creeping onto his lips, "Here I thought you were dead or in Impel Down." He chuckled.

"Well I kept my head low," the woman sighed, "I was done being a piece on the chess board. Sorry kitty cat, I just couldn't." She did not meet his eyes. She stared down at a box in her hands.

Katakuri bit his lip, even now he melted when she used that dumb pet name, "That was a long time ago." He breathed out. He had asked her to marry him. She had said yes but he knew something was wrong when her smile didn't reach her eyes. They had a wonderful night. He drank more than he should have. When he woke up she was gone and there was a note on his bedside table.

"You deserved better," she shook her head, "I kept hoping to see something in the paper about you getting married, I really want you to find love again."

"Love was never in the cards for me, not after you." Katakuri laughed bitterly. He had never even thought about moving on. She was the only woman he wanted. He hated himself for trying to take their relationship to marriage, her note made it clear that's why she ran. He still remembers the note, the entire thing.

Dear kitty cat,

You are the only person I have ever loved. I don't think I could ever love someone as much as I love you. No matter what, please know that I love you. I will never stop loving you. I'm so sorry I'm about to hurt you so much, but I can't marry you.

I wish I wasn't such a coward. I wish your mother didn't scare the ever-living hell out of me. I wish I could just ignore my fear but I can't. Your mother made it clear to me that if I ever got in the way of your work she would deal with me.

I'm sorry that I'm leaving and not saying goodbye properly. I don't want to make you choose between me and your family. I know you don't think you will have to but you will. A part of me is scared that you would choose them. I don't think I could handle that, so I'm making the choice. Love your family.

I love you. I will never not love you. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. Please blame me for this. Hate me, because I know you would make a different choice if you were in my position.

You did nothing wrong. You were the perfect partner. I know you'll find someone truly worth your time. Goodbye, kitty cat.

With only love for you,

A worthless coward

"I'm sorry." Her voice was so soft barely above a whisper.

Katakuri shook his head, " did you ever move on?" Katakuri did all he could to keep his voice neutral. It had been 20 years, surely she had found someone else.

"No." She said, her voice close to cracking, " And I won't." she shoved the box in her hand over to him, "But you have every right to. I'm the one who left. You deserve a happy life Katakuri." she stood up, pecked him on his cheek and left.

Katakuri looked down at the little box she had given him. It was the kind of box that you might give a woman jewelry with. He glanced to the exit she was gone again. He wanted to chuck the damned box across the bar. How could she just pop in for a five-minute talk after 20 years and then just leave again? He couldn't bring himself to chase after her. He sighed and opened the box.

His heart stopped, and he felt tears pooling in his eyes. She had kept the ring. He had always wondered what had happened to the simple gold ring he proposed to her with. He had planned on it just being a stand-in till the two could find a pair of matching rings they both liked. She had kept it. Fuck she had kept it.

Katakuri stood and rushed after her. He didn't want to lose her, not again. Not this time.