Chapter Three

*2 weeks later*

I've been on this job for almost 3 weeks. Best thing I ever did. Maybe it was just for my dad, but I think I did it more for myself. I needed somewhere to go, some new people, I needed a family. You're damn sure I got one. I'm saving up all my paychecks so I can get out of Sams hair. I'm looking at an apartment down the street, fits paycheck great. I can get groceries and all that good stuff and still pay for the apartment itself. I'm going to look at it after shift today. I grab my bag with clothes for after shift and I plan to put my clothes in there to wash. I put my clothes on, some simple shorts, a sports tank top and my tennis shoes. I put my hair in a ponytail and get in my car, going to the station, I'm an hour early so it's 3 here, a night of no sleeping I decided to come in a bit early and get some extra exercise in. I say hi to Winnie, who gets here earlier than I do.

"Hard night?" She asks.

"You could call it that." I smile slightly before, putting my headphones in and wrap my knuckles in wrap and start to fight this punching bag. 

I take out all my anger and loneliness in this bag but it still doesn't satisfy me. I get on the treadmill just as Spike walks in. I ignore him, hoping he doesn't say anything and start full on running on this thing. I start to sweat, and it feels good. It feels real good. I've been missing my Dad a lot lately. I can feel the anniversary sneaking up. I run for almost the entire workout time until someone taps on my shoulder. I take out a headphone and look over to who it was. Spike.

"You wanna mess around again?" He asks.

"Not today, Spike sorry." I smile slightly and he smiles and walks away. 

I didn't mean to turn him down, I'm just not feeling it today. I'm tired and lonely, I just need a break from people, but I have to do this job. This job keeps me going. This job is the only thing I know how to do. I run until the alarm goes off. I take my headphones out and go to my locker, getting dressed, I see Sam and he smiles a bit. I smile slightly and start to get dressed.

"I was kinda bummed when I didn't have breakfast this morning, I woke up and you were already gone." Sam whispers.

"Sorry long night, needed to get out." I say and finish getting dressed.

"You wanna talk about it?" He asks.

"Maybe later." I say and get in the truck. I put my mic in my ear.

"Okay, we've got a suicide attempt, 19 year old girl, lost her Mom a couple years ago, Dad died in a car crash a month ago." He explains.

"Boss, I can take this one." I speak up quickly.

"You can take it Sarah." Boss says as we pull up to the scene.

"Sam, help Sarah out up there with the ropes, Lew and Spike in the truck with me, Ed, Wordy and Jules try to find who this girl is." He say as I get out the truck. This is my first negotiation.

"Sarah, remember to connect with her." He says and I know what he's saying. Bring up my Dad. I take a deep breath and walk over to the first on the side of the bridge.

"Hi, my name is Sarah, I'm with the Police Strategic Response Unit, can I ask you your name?" I ask, strapping myself to the bridge.

"Leave me alone, take another step and I'll jump." She says, crying.

"What's your name?" I ask, taking a step forward.

"It's Jess." She says, looking at me.

"I'm Sarah, can I ask you why you're here?" I ask.

"I can't take it anymore, the guilt, the pain." She sobs, kicking her shoes off.