Chapter Four

Today is the day.

2 years ago, my Dad died. 

He was big. Big around here, I mean. They're having a thing down on the highway. I wasn't there last year. I have to be there this year. I miss him like crazy. Depression is taking over. They're giving me today off. I appreciate it but I have to go in. Just a little late. I could use the extra sleep. It's like if I don't have my mind on this job all day, I'll do something I'll regret. I'll tear up another relationship. It's about 7 so I decide to go in.

I can't sit in this bed anymore. I get dressed and go in. I walk in and Winnie looks at me weird.

"Can't sit in that bed anymore." I say and start going to the Boss. They're all sitting around the table. I walk in awkwardly.

"Sarah? What are you doing here?" Boss asks.

"I can't sit in that bed anymore." I repeat.

"Okay, well have a seat." Boss says and I sit down beside Sam.

"I was going to say to patrol but you know that damn a-" Boss start.

He's cut off by the alarm going off.

"Lookie there." He laughs as we all get up and go to our lockers.

I get to my locker and start to suit up.

"Are you alright?" Sam whispers.

"I'm okay." I say, avoiding his face.

"You might want to do the math on all the okays one day." He says and starts to walk away.

"Sam," I say and he turns around. "Today is the anniversary of my Dad's death, two years, they're having a thing for him over the bridge tonight, will you go with me?" I ask.

"Sure, yeah of course." He smiles.

"Thank you." I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding in.

"C'mon guys we gotta get going." Boss says taking me with him.

"Are you alright?" Boss asks me.

"I'm okay. I just couldn't stand being in the room, with my feelings and thoughts bouncing off the wall." I explain.

"I know how you feel and if you ever ne-"

"Please don't." I cut him off.

I grab some gear and put it in the car and start riding with Sam.

"What's up with Boss?" He asks.

"He wanted to see what's going on. Trying to go fatherly on me." I say quietly looking out the window.

"Okay guys, we've got a robbery in play. No ones identified this guy yet, multiple hostages." Boss explains.

"Sarah, I want you to take lead today." He says.

"Boss, not to put this the wrong way but are you sure that's a good idea?" I ask.

"You're taking the lead." He repeats.

"Alright." I sigh.

We get on scene and I split everyone up into the different groups like Boss.

"Wordy and Ed, Alpha team, find a way to get in there, Jules and Sam talk to anyone who got out and see if they can figure out who this is, Spike and Lew get eyes in." I say and they all split up. I get in the truck with Spike.

After a couple of minutes, Spike hacks the video cameras.

"Okay, so we're looking at a masked gunman, 7 hostages." I say.