Chapter 9

*2 months later*

It's been 2 months since I got shot. I've spent everyday on the range and the gym, I've been running, while juggling eating, sleeping, and taking care of the apartment, it's been hard and frustrating. But I did it. Today is my first day back on the job. I got up extra early that day about 4 and eat some breakfast. I make some eggs and some bacon, eating and getting dressed, it get's about 4:45 and I get my things and grab a jacket and my purse. I lock the door and go downstairs, driving to the station. I get in and go up to the desk, sneaking up behind Winnie.

"Hello cupcake." I say in a manly voice.

She jumps and turns around. I laugh as she squeals and hugs me.

"What are you doing here?" She asks.

"I'm back." I smile.

"That's great, We miss having you here, you were the light of the day." She smiles. I smile are go into the briefing room where Boss is waiting.

"Hey." He smiles as he hugs me.

"I wanted to come a little earlier and discuss a few things." I say sitting at the table.

"Alright." He says, sitting in his seat at the end of the table.

"I broke things off with Sam, we're okay, I bought an apartment downtown and is officially done." I explain, quickly to get off the subject about Sam.

"Are you sure about Sam?" He asks.

"Yeah, yeah, nothing to worry about." I assure.

"Alright well congrats on the new apartment and glad to have you back." He smiles and hugs me again.

I go to change to get in the treadmill when Spike comes in.

"Hey!" He says and hugs me tightly.

"Didn't expect you to come back today." He says.

"Yeah, I've been working hard." I smile.

"Alright well welcome back." He smiles and changes. I get on my treadmill and start running. I run the entire time, pushing myself. It's great to be back. I've definitely missed it. I miss being in the action. I can't make a difference out in the range but I can make a difference out here. I love being in action. It gives you this adrenaline rush and you feel more alive out there rather than in the command truck or here like Winnie. It's not the same. I notice Sam come in and he smiles slightly at me as I step off the treadmill, going to my locker.

"First day back, you nervous?" He asks.

"Nah." I smile. "So I heard you uh took some time off."

He nods.

"Beaches and Margaritas?" I smirk.

"Yeah, a little R and R, I also went back to the base."

"Really? Wow, I thought uh, I thought when the general summons you, you don't say no. What was that about?" I ask.

"Well he pulled some strings and he wants me back in the military where I can really make a difference." He says.

"Woah. What'd you say?" I ask, changing my shirt.

"I said I could make a difference here." He smiles.

"Good for you." I pat his arm as he puts a shirt on.

"He thought he heard me wrong because it didn't sound like 'yes sir' anyways dealing with my dad, that was the easy part." He says, putting a vest on.