Chapter Seven

2 and a half weeks later

"I don't like flowers because they die, they're temporary." I laughed as Sam took my cup of water and poured it into a small cup of roses.

"Yeah, well I'm not." He says, kissing my forehead.

I eat my pudding while having a conversation with Sam. We're pretty sure that the Team knows, I mean he was crying when I got shot, we'd only known each other for about a month. 

It's been a month and a half. But we spend almost every moment together. I mean, I live with him, we work together, but these past couple of weeks, we haven't seen each other as much. While I'm stuck in this hospital bed, he's out there saving people. I need to get back out there. I need to be. 

He comes and sees me before shift and after shift, I know he's tired and I'll tell him, "Go home" he'll just laugh and shake his head. I'm leaving in 3 days. I've been walking around, Sam would help me walk around the halls. I'm healed. I'm okay. I don't think he understands that. He's so reluctant about me getting up and moving. He always wants me to rest and sleep, but I want to move around. After I get out of there, I'm going to start running every morning. I'm going to get to the range and start shooting again. I want to get back on the team as soon as possible.

"I've got to get going." Sam says and kisses my lips softly before leaving. I sit back in bed and turn the TV on. I'm stuck doing this. 

Boss was coming by after shift tomorrow to see how I'm doing. 

After I got shot and I blacked out, I didn't know what happened with Ed, I really didn't know. No one would tell me, I ended up snapping at Sam until he told me.

Flashback

"Why can't you just tell me?!" I yelled at Sam as pain shatters through my body.

"Because I don't think it's important." He replies calmly.

"Sam, this guy shot me, I want to know what happened that day!"I yell.

"Fine you want to know?" He yells, turning around to face me. His eyes are full are anger with a hint of sadness. "After we got you down, we were looking for him, He got Ed, he got Ed and I was almost half a mile away and I took the shot. It's wasn't called, I did it. I did it for you."

"But the questions? Can't they charge you with wrongful death?" I panic.

"I'm not leaving. They're not going to charge me with anything and they're not going to sue me." He smiles, putting his hands on my face.

"I'm staying right here."

Flashback over

I'm all over the newspaper, apparently when an SRU officer is down it's really serious. I haven't been important in four years, you know, I mean, I'm suddenly important, I'm part of a family. I haven't had a family in four years. It's all surreal.

My thoughts are cut off by my phone ringing. I pick it up and look at the caller I.D. My heart drops.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Hi sweetheart." My mom's voice says through the phone.

"Is there something you need?" I ask.

"Why would I need something?" She asks.

"I mean, you called."I say.

"I can't call to check up on my daughter?" She asks.

"No, it's fine." I say.

"Can we meet up?" She asks.

"I uh I can't." I say.