Chapter 18

Today was my moms wedding. Sam and I went shopping about a week ago to get the outfits for the wedding. He got a suit and I got a dress, It's a baby blue dress that goes a little above my knees and has the back cut out, the straps cross in the back and a low neck in the front. I got a pair of wedges to go along with them. Team One had the day off. I got up early enough to take a shower and shave my legs. I blow dry my hair and curl it. I get Sam up to take a shower while I do my makeup. He gets out and kisses my cheek, wiping all the makeup off my face. I nudge him away and redo it. I'm doing touch ups while Sam is doing his hair. I pull on my wedges and grab my purse, going out of the apartment, getting into Sam's jeep. We get to the altar and go inside, Sam takes our seat and I go find my mom. I find her room and open the door, revealing a lot of white.

"Oh sweetheart you came!" She gasps.

"Wouldn't miss it." I smile, she gives me a small hug, careful not to ruffle her dress. "My god you look beautiful."

"Thank you." She smiles, spinning around. Her dress has a silk bottom with a lace top and some white heels.

"You look beautiful as well." She says.

"I uh I brought Sam with me as well, didn't think you would mind." I say.

"Of course not honey." She smiles, I go back out and sit beside Sam on one of the pews. He smiles and takes my hand, intertwining our fingers. My mom comes out and she goes up to the altar and they say their vows and go to kiss, but a gunshot rings out instead of the sound of clapping. We all duck down, Sam covering me. I see a guy in a black suit run out of the church.

"I'll get him." I stand, kicking my heels off, running towards the door. "Call EMS and Team!"

I chase after him, grabbing my phone, dialing Boss' number.

"Hey Boss, I uh got an issue." I say, running after him. "Someone just shot my mom new husband, I'm chasing him on foot."

He turns around and shoots I turn around the corner and sit for a second before running back after him.

Two.

"Do you have your gun?" Boss asks.

"No." I say and hang up.

He turns and fires again, I get behind a mailbox, him missing again.

Three.

This goes on for about 10 minutes before he has one bullet left. He shoots it and I duck, it missing me.

"Six." I say to myself. I run after him, getting close on his heels. He turns around and stops, trying to shoot me but the trigger clicks and he's out of bullets. I tackle him and hold him there until Boss and the Team comes, really getting him. I stand up and brush myself off.

"You look nice." Spike smiles.

"Thanks." I laugh and give him a quick hug. I go back over to the church and put my shoes back on. Boss comes in and sees Sam dressed in a suit and his eyes get angry. He pushes us into the back room.

"Are you two together again?" He says, throwing a file on the table.

"Yes." Sam sighs.

He exhales and rubs his face. "I risked my job for you, I risked everything."

"We've been together four months, have you seen a change in the way we do our job?" Sam asks.

"Well no." Boss says.

"This changes nothing." I say and walk out, earning a number of eyeballs from the Team.

"I'm gonna go change, I'll be right back." I say and start walking out but someone grabs my hand. I turn around to Spike.

"Sarah, we don't think they meant to shoot your step dad, I think they meant to shoot your mom." He says.

"What are you saying?" I ask.

"Sarah we think someone is targeting you."

"No, no one would target me, I-I haven't done anything." I stutter.

"Can you think of anyone who wants to target you?" Spike asks. Then it hits me.

"Matt." I say. I sit down. "Oh my god."

"Okay Spike find Matt, getting the logs for his visitors, his phone logs, everyone this guy's contacted since he got arrested." Boss says and puts me in the truck with Spike. I take my shoes off and cross my legs. I grab a laptop from the counter and put it on my lap, typing Matts name in the database. I search around for a while before a call comes in.

"He killed somebody else." Spike says.

"Who?" I ask.

"Jason Haymitch." He says. I freeze and tear up.

"No." I sob. "No."

I cover my face to hide the tears but they soak my hands. He was my dad's partner, we were close too. Spike hugs me and stroke my hair, calming me down. I wipe my face with a tissue and take a couple deep breaths.

"If Matt is doing this, he's done his research." Spike says.

"Okay we need you to write down anyone who is important to you." Spike says and hands me a notepad.

I write down the only other people that mean anything to me 'Team One'

I hand it back. "That's it?"

"That's it." I nod.

"Okay guys, watch your backs, we're the only ones she has left." Spike says. I put an earpiece in as they try to find him.

"Guys, Matt was released a week ago." Spike says.

"He's the killer?" I ask. I rub my face of its makeup, setting my head on the table. I put the headset on the counter, digging my face into my arms, closing my eyes.

I jump up at someone yelling through the earpiece.

"Officer down! I repeat, We've got an Officer down! Sam's down!"