Chapter 44 Awake

(Trigger warning)

Just outside of the nomu warehouse

"Tomura has only just begun to think for himself and carve his own path..... So, if possible, I'd like to keep anyone from interfering with that." Said an ominous voice from behind the wall.

The mere sound of his voice sent Midoriya, Todoroki, Iida, Kirishima and Yaoyorozu into an utter state of fear. All of them had a cold sweat and were paralyzed yet shaking with terror. Whatever happened to Best Jeanist and the other heroes happened in an instant and the hiding UA students saw their own deaths for just a moment.

Just a moment later they heard someone coughing....

Bakugou was the first to emerge through AFO's portal and he quickly realized that Atreyu was no longer in his arms. He looked up and was faced with a tall man in a suit and a strange metal mask. He remembered Atreyu's description of AFO from the hot spring and realized that this man was AFO.

"Apologies Bakugou." He said politely.

"Koff koff Where is she you bastard koff" Bakugou coughed while glaring down AFO.

"You mean Atreyu? She and the others will arrive in a moment. I wanted a moment to talk with you. Man to man I believe is the term."

Bakugou and the others listening, tensed.

"I was watching you while you and Tomura were talking and I can tell that you love Atreyu... But I like you Bakugou so I'll give you a piece of advice.....Forget about Atreyu."

"Fuck you!" Bakugou growled.

"I get it, your first love is a hard one to forget but-"

"Don't give me that bullshit!" Bakugou barked, "There's no way you paid all that money just so that crusty bastard can have a companion. What's the real reason you want Atreyu?!"

There was a tense silence between AFO and Bakugou. AFO looked at Bakugou as he tried to show that he wasn't afraid. He could see why Tomura was so drawn to Bakugou.

AFO chuckled and said, "Is this the part where I do some kind of evil monologue? Tell you my grand plans hmm? Sorry to disappoint you, Bakugou but that really is the reason. Atreyu is destined to be the perfect companion...She was practically made for it."

Bakugou froze, not really understanding the underlining meaning to his words.

Suddenly Atreyu, Shigaraki and the others began to appear. Shigaraki appeared next to Bakugou while the rest of the League appeared behind them. Atreyu appeared in AFOs arms, still asleep.

"Master!" Shigaraki called with relief.

He felt a lot better seeing Atreyu in his master's arms and not Bakugous. He looked at Atreyu as he fell to his knees. She looked like a sleeping goddess in his master's arms.

"Tomura," his master called.

"It's unfortunate that your plan failed.... But having Atreyu back where she truely belongs should count as a victory. Keep her close to your heart, Tomura, and everything you have ever wanted will be yours...." AFO said while looking down at the sleeping girl in his arms.

"I will master." Shigaraki said in a raspy tone, not really understanding what his master could mean by that....

'If master says she's that important then I will do anything to keep her at my side and never let go.' Shigaraki thought.

"Tsk." Was all Bakugou could say at that moment. He had to be cautious if he was to get Atreyu and himself away from here.

Back behind the crumbled wall where the others were hiding, they tried to process everything they heard.