Part III

Sober, Gillian crept into her own apartment although she had not done anything explicitly wrong in nature.

To both her surprise and dismay, Malik was still up, sitting on the couch in his boxers, playing 2K.

He glanced in her direction then directed his eyes back to the TV. "Where you been?" His voice was unchanging and monotone.

"Where else?" Gillian sighed, placing her hand flat on the wall next to her for support as she removed her heels.

"It's late, that's all I'm saying." He paused the game and looked back at her, arm over the edge of the couch.

"Money talks."

And so does Billie.

"I made tacos if you want some."

"I ate already. Thank you though." Her responses were dry.

Malik stood to his feet and neared Gilly, kissing her cheek. Subtly, she turned her head.

He pulled away, eyebrows scrunched. "What's up with you? You smoked tonight?"

"A little. I'm just tired." She told him, although just half an hour ago, she was giggling and completely delirious.

Malik stared at her for a moment longer before returning back to his position on the couch. "Aight, whatever. G'nite."

It wasn't unusual for Malik's mood to suddenly change within the blink of an eye. One minute, he was kind and thoughtful. A man Gilly could see herself marrying and spending the remaining years of her life with.

The next, he was bitter and petty. All Gilly wanted to do during these times was distance herself from him.

It was difficult to love the father of her child when he was so incredibly flawed.

Gillian ignored Malik's girlish attitude and went to check on Elias. He was neatly tucked in, a red durag on his curly head of hair and most importantly, his PAW Patrol nightlight was on full display.

Malik Allen; great dad, distasteful partner.

A few days later, Gillian found herself standing in the bathroom, wiping sleep from Elias' eyes with a warm wash cloth. She brushed his teeth and his hair before smearing a thin layer of Vaseline over his face.

He looked up at her with big, doe-like eyes and grinned from ear to ear.

Eli was a sweet child, a unique personality of his own, and possessed an incredible joy for life. He was truly Gillian's world and would always take precedence over anything or anyone else.

Despite giving her troubling heartburn and morning sickness during her pregnancy, Gilly loved him dearly.

"Can we get ice-cream after school?"

"Will you eat your vegetables when we have dinner?"

He frowned and grumbled, "okay" then his face suddenly lit up. "With daddy too?"

At this moment, Gillian had no desire to be anywhere near Malik. But, Eli was spoiled so she agreed.

"With daddy too." She confirmed with a little reluctance.

Slightly, it hurt Gillian's heart to see the pure adoration Eli had for his father. She questioned how long his innocence would last before he saw the imperfections in Malik's character.

After Gillian dropped him off at preschool, on her way back home, her phone began to rang, interrupting the loud music playing from her car's speakers.

Unknown number.