Part VI

Today, Gillian found herself swimming in a pool that belonged to Billie's apartment complex. It was early in the afternoon, sunny, perhaps too sunny. Billie was sitting on the edge, her legs dipped in the water, squinting awkwardly as she stared at Gillian, listening to her talk.

Malik was at his new job, Eli at school, and she didn't have a shift tonight, so she had the day to herself. A rare occasion.

Gilly stopped talking and laughed, "You're getting red already."

Billie looked down at her arms, slightly embarrassed. "I can feel it. Shit burns."

"Don't be a baby, hold on."

Gilly pushed herself up out of the pool and grabbed a black and gold tube of sunscreen from her bag. Water dripped from her skin, trickling down and staining the concrete beneath her painted white toes.

When she returned to the pool, Billie's eyes followed her as she closed the space between them.

"Lemme see your arms," She requested and Billie obeyed, stretching one of her arms out.

Gillian rubbed sunscreen in her skin and leaned up on her tippy toes to apply it to her smiling face.

Billie would never admit how much she enjoyed being taken care of.

"Better?"

She hummed and nodded.

"Good."

Suddenly, Gillian grabbed Billie by her hands and pulled her into the pool. She screeched and quickly rose above water.

Billie immediately responded, splashing a big wave of water in Gilly's direction, laughing.

Gillian lightheartedly scolded her about wetting her hair, then splashed her back.

There were a few other people at the pool, some tanning, a pair conversing near the stairs, another practicing their backstrokes, but Gillian and Billie committed to shamelessly being themselves in spite of their disturbance to others.

When their fingertips began to wrinkle, they figured it was time to get out. They sat on opposing pool chairs and Billie unpacked sandwiches, Doritos and small bowls of fruit salad.

Billie chuckled and Gillian giggled as they ate. She felt as though she was watching herself experience happiness from a third person perspective. It was almost unfamiliar and she couldn't help but feel a bit selfish for a reason unknown to her.

But she couldn't deny how bubbly she became around Billie. She felt youthful, though she was still just twenty-three years of age.

After a while, Billie invited her upstairs to her apartment. It was clean like her car, but not to the point where it was freakish. It was both tidy and lived in.

Billie showered and washed the chlorine from her hair, wrapping a white towel around her waist and blow drying the damp strands once she was finished.

By the time Gillian was done, she realized a little too late she hadn't brought a change of clothes with her. So she peaked her head out the door, calling Billie's name.

"Can I borrow some clothes? Please?" Gilly displayed a very convincing smile.

Of course, Billie agreed and gave her a t-shirt. Unfortunately, she did not own any underwear Gillian would typically wear, so she handed her a pair of boxer briefs instead.

A few minutes passed before Gillian came walking into the living room, taking a seat on the couch, and throwing a blanket over her legs. The beginning of Fruitvale Station beginning to play on the TV.