Part V

When Gillian's father passed from early age illness, she and her mother grew more distant than either of them would have liked.

Her mother dealt with grief differently than she did. She spent most of her time alone, ignoring questions, yearning for the return of her life partner and best friend.

Gillian held no hate in her heart or resentment towards her mom. To this day, she loves her mother deeply despite the distance they've accumulated.

Over the years, they've rekindle something special. It was as if they've been born again and given a second chance at being mother and daughter. Together, they have learned to live without him but will forever hold him in their shared memories.

"Momma," Gillian looked up, her head casually laying in her mom's lap.

"Hm?"

"Momma." She said again. "FaceBook's still gonna be there after I'm done."

"Lemme send this video to your aunty real quick." Her mother laughed and used her index finger to tap a few buttons on her phone. "Okay, okay, what's the matter?"

"Don't be mad. Talk to me like you're my homegirl."

Her mom put her phone down carefully. "What'd you do, G?"

"I kissed someone."

"Gillian, you have a whole child. I know you've kissed someone before."

"Noo," She dragged out. "I kissed someone recently that's not Malik. All I do is smile when I'm around her and she gives me butterflies and I think I like her a lot. But she gets in my nerves so bad."

Gillian waited anxiously for her mom's response.

"It sounds like you're seven all over again begging me for a puppy." She snickered. "You're grown, you can have her."

"But M-"

"You know I never cared for him. Go have your fun on the side, if it works out, great. If it doesn't, then it doesn't. It's not like he hasn't strayed off, right?"

Gillian sunk in her face on the couch, a slight pout on her face.

"Sounds like you're looking for an excuse not to allow yourself to be happy, baby."

She stayed quiet, thinking silently to herself.

Abruptly, Kella knocked on the front door and made a grand entrance, kicking her shoes off and hopping on the couch next to Gillian and her mom.

She sighed with a grin, "Home sweet home."

Gillian playfully pushed her off the couch as her ass had landed on her ankles. She looked over the edge of the couch and giggled, offering her hand.

"Stop moaning and groaning, let's go gossip."

"Finally, you're speaking my language now."

The two girls practically skipped to Gilly's childhood bedroom, still decorated the way she left it five years ago. Shades of purple and grays, a queen bed, no headboard, a large bean bag chair randomly placed near the middle of the room.

Not only was her bedroom decor exactly the same, so was the house. Incense sticks could be found in every major room, the light bulbs still had a slight yellowish tint, and there were bible quotes on the walls, though they had never been frequent churchgoers.

Kella laid in the beanbag chair and Gilly sat up on the bed, back leaning against the wall. Suddenly, they were teenage girls all over again, discussing the cutest boy in their grade and cracking the window to let smoke out.