Part XIX

Billie had called her girl three days ago. She could hear the stress in her tone as she tried to simultaneously respond to Billie and register Elias into a new school, one that was closer to Kella's.

She was also looking to get approved for an apartment of her own but she had already been put on several waitlists.

Billie listened thoughtfully. She loved listening to her, making her feel heard. And her voice was just the cherry on top, so she didn't mind being talked to death at all.

She began to wonder, for the first time, what would Gilly's life look like if they hadn't met.

Everything Gillian's going through now is a secondary result of meeting Billie. When the younger girl realized Gillian was basically starting her life over again because of her, her heart ached. With both empathy, and sentiment.

It wasn't even slightly difficult for Billie to decided what exactly she wanted to do to show her gratitude. Gillian had briefly mentioned wanting something like it and Billie had been holding the idea in her back pocket for a while.

After a sufficient amount of planning and several hundreds of dollars spent, all there was left to do was pick up Gillian.

Once she arrived at the club, on an especially packed night. she weaved through the crowd, apologizing whenever she'd accidentally bump into someone.

Her eyes landed on Kella first, but still searched for Gillian as she walked up to her.

"Heyyy," She slurred, greeting Billie with a side hug, then pouring a shot.

"Hey? You okay?"

"Crossed," she shrugged, a blissful, mildly goofy smile plastered on her face. "Looking for G?"

"That obvious?"

"Duh, you only ever come for her." Kella offered her a shot, which she declined, but took the blunt that was passed to her instead.

"Guilty." Billie grinned, ghosted, then handed it back to someone else in the rotation.

Kella looked behind her at the main stage, "I just saw her— try checking in the back, I dunno."

Billie nodded and made her way to the dressing room.

She leaned in the doorway and looked to the left, immediately finding who she was anxious to see. Gillian sat with her legs crossed in front of a vanity, eyes glued to her phone.

"Missed me?"

Gillian glanced up and squealed upon realizing who it was. She got out of her chair and slung her arms around Billie's neck as they shared a short, intimate kiss.

"Hi, pretty."

"Oh my god, you saved me. I'm not even supposed to be back here right now but I'm bored out of my mind and even more exhausted."

"Too exhausted even for a date?"

Gillian frowned and groaned at the unfortunate circumstances. "Billie," she whined. "I'm working. And I would've gotten more sleep if I knew you planned a date."

"I'm sorry, baby. I couldn't tell you because it'd ruin the surprise." She guided her a little closer by the hips. "What's the fun in that?"

She succumbed, "...nothing."

"Exactly. Just tell the girls to cover for you if your manger asks. You've been wearing too many hats and balancing too many plates lately. I want you to relax."

Gillian looked off to the side, thinking. She wanted the money. In fact, she needed the money. But she also valued her sanity and Billie was the perfect prescription.