Part VIII

After Billie's win, she changed her clothes and Chris insisted on taking them all out for drinks. In this moment, all Gillian wanted to do was be alone with Billie, away from everyone else, but she'd be a fool to say no to free liquor.

Gillian didn't say much during the next hour or two. She solely listened to the conversation, then zoned out as she watched Billie's lips part every time she spoke. She licked over them often, though they were never dry.

Lost in thought, Gilly's eyes grew lazy.

Today, she saw all the parts of Billie that formed her character. Her motivation and drive, her comedic side, her attentiveness and success, the charisma— she loved all of it.

It was rare to find someone who had it all.

For the first time, she really considered the possibility of Billie and herself.

When Gillian started to mix dark and light, Billie stared at her curiously and the faint smile that never wiped from her lips.

"You okay?" Billie questioned with a soft laugh.

Holding her head up with her hand, Gilly nodded.

Billie looked in her glass and appeared a bit skeptical. "You want me to take you home?"

"I'm just tipsy. I'm good, I promise."

"Let me know, alright? Just say the word."

It was clear Billie had mistaken her unusual silence and low lids for drunkenness, but it was far from that.

Perhaps her mistake was because she had never seen Gillian like this before. She was unfamiliar with it.

Chris, seeming to be all knowing tonight, saw right through Gilly and found it completely ridiculous Billie couldn't see for herself. It looked like Gillian wanted to eat her alive and then some.

In her head, she kept replaying the moment when Drea hugged Billie. She recalled the way Billie never tore her eyes away from her. The anticipation in them, desperate to hug her instead.

It felt nice to be wanted. To be sought after and feel like a priority rather than an afterthought.

Billie wanted Gillian from the beginning and never did anything that said otherwise. She was consistent in her efforts.

Suddenly, Gillian felt red hot in her skin and her heart beat thumped loudly. Her clothes were too tight and the music in this club was too loud. She wanted out.

"Billie?"

Despite the quietness of her voice, Billie perked up and directed her attention towards her. It was like she had a sixth sense, just for Gillian.

She observed her body language and caught on quickly. "Ready to go?"

Gilly hummed.

"Don't take me back home." She added. "He's not the one I wanna see right now."

Billie's mind raced a thousand miles an hour but she concealed it and she tried not to jump to any conclusions.

She simply agreed and said her goodbyes to her friends.

Hand in hand, Billie guided her through the crowd and out of the club.

She dug her keys out of pocket, then proceeded to open the door for Gilly.

Billie downed two water bottles in an effort to sober up before driving. She offered one to Gillian, who politely declined, explaining that she felt good and wanted to continue feeling this way—her head, light and airy.