The Dilemma (chapter 1)

TW: mention of murder, gambling, bullying (kinda?), and umm kidnapping tehe

    Vampire. 

The word has always been a part of my life. It's been screamed at me as an insult, whispered behind my back, and of course, it's what my very unfortunate species is called. I'm not some Dracula-sleep-in-a-coffin-die-from-the-sun kind of vampire, in fact pretty much the only things Dracula and I have in common are a love for black and a thirst for blood. The second of which It's pretty f*cking sh*tty if you ask me.

     I mean, I need to eat, I can't just starve to death, but killing humans is illegal, and morally questionable, I suppose. I've been living on animal blood for the past sixteen years of my life. It's gross, with a thick, fatty, and acidic taste, and its hardly enough nourishment to keep me alive, but it's better than nothing I guess.

     I'm sitting alone in my room, honestly it's less of a room and more of an apartment, but its the smallest bedroom in the mansion my father left me. He was human, and a really good person from what I've been told by my butler, but he died when I was six after getting into a fight about my mother's gambling. She had lost almost all of my parents money and refused to seek help, the two got into a fight, and she killed him.

     I never saw her again, not that I'd want too, in fact if she shows up I plan to do to her what she did to my father. A knock on the door interrupts my thoughts. Seeing as only two people live in this mansion including me, I guess pretty quickly who it is.

     "Come in Jules-Albert I've told you before no need to knock." He nods, opening the door and stepping inside the gothic style room.

     "Sir," he begins, and I roll my eyes. I've told him constantly not to call me sir. We're friends in my eyes, after all, but he insists.

     "As your sixteenth birthday approaches we must continue nonstop to find a solution, once you're sixteen animal blood will no longer be enough to fuel you so finding a source of human blood is unfortunately necessary, I would, yet again be more then willing to serve you with my own blood if-" I put my hand up to cut him off, I would never hurt him. He's the only one left in the world who cares about me, I don't want to ruin that.

     "No, as I said before, I can't do that. We'll have to find anouther option. I won't hunt, and I sure as hell won't hurt you, so if those are my only options, I'll just starve" I shrug. It's the truth, I'd rather starve than end lives that are worth far more than my own. His eyes go wide and he looks at me concerned. I know I shouldn't be happy that he's worried, but it's nice that he's worried about me. He's like the dad I never got to know, so it means the world to me that he cares about me even a little. He clears his throat.

     "Well... I doubt you will enjoy this idea but it would avoid human death as well as your own." I look up from the pen I'm fidgeting with. If it avoids all that death why would I not enjoy it?

     "You could capture a single human to feed on." My butler adds cautiously.

     There's why. Of course there's a catch. If there was a perfect plan we would have thought of it ages ago.

     "NO! I won't rip an innocent person from their life! Besides, their family and friends will notice!" I shout, pushing my chair back with a creak as I stand up. He looks down to meet my eyes, his cold gaze countering my heated one.

      "Without meaning to sound rude, sir,... we could just select a nobody, someone no one cares about. Logically, sir, it's the best plan with the least impact on others lives. You could take care of them, and treat them well, while also feeding on them, it's really a win all around, they get to live in a mansion rent free and get fed 3 meals a day in exchange for some blood every few days."

     I pause, he has a point, I suppose. Is it really a good deal though? If you have to be locked up the rest of your life and ripped out of your life (as empty as it may be) can you really call it fair? But I'm running out of options, with my sixteenth birthday coming up.

     It's either someone else's life or my own. I can't say I'm not a bit selfish, but I think most in my situation would choose the same. Your life often feels more precious than that of someone you've never met.

     "Fine..." I breathe, trying  to sound calm. "I'll do it, but I will go out at pick them myself and they will be treated with upmost respect, and, if they want to leave after the first 3 months, we let them" He looks confused by that.

     "Are you sure that's a good idea, sir? you'll most definitely be left without food."

     "Maybe it's not a great choice for me, but I'm not forcing someone to spend the rest their life in misery. Those are my conditions, is that good enough for you?" I lean in towards him in an attempt to be intimidating, but he's a good 5 inches taller then me. I blame the vampire genes. He frowns a bit, but then with a sigh he nods.

     "if that's what you wish sir." He bows lightly and walks out of my room, shutting the door gently behind him and blocking the rest of the light from the hallway. I plop down onto my bed with a shaky sigh, stuffing my face deep into my favourite pillow. I don't want this. I don't like this at all. It's wrong, it's evil, but it's the least evil I can do.