Chapter 8

Even if there are physicians who is tending those in needs, they are just few and they can't all tend the the needy all at the time because every minute, someone's disease just kicked up and worsen until they can't hold it anymore and will eventually die.

And since he still don't know what is the disease of the people, he immediately carefully checked one of the patient's pulse while Mengxin is taking down notes.

“Seizure, headache, body pain,” he looked at the patient's hand and saw some small rashes. “Rashes, fever, vomitting and insomnia.” He finished and looked at Mengxin who took it down in her paper. “Any idea of the poison?”

Mengxin shook her head. “Not yet. Let me just have some minutes or hours to look it on my brain if ever I read it somewhere.” She said so he nodded before he left her and go inside the room where their friend are whose busy doing the tasks he gave them and that is to decoct a medicine that can lessen everyone's pain even just for a while so the people won't suffer too much as they look for an antidote.

He was the one who personally cooked all the medicine since it needed to be watched carefully, should have cooked in a moderate fire and the herbs that will be put on should be in order to avoid over cooking that can lead to ineffectiveness or worst, poisoning.

But while he is cooking, he stopped putting the herbs when he smell something on the boiling water. He immediately took the cooking pot out of the fire and since Linxiu is the water deity's disciple, he let her check it. After a minute she looked at them. “The water is poisoned.” She said and since it was Wude who took water that they used, he was the one who reacted.

“Ha? But, I didn't let anyone touched that water. I even personally carry that water just to be careful whether someone will put poison in it and it is poisoned?”

“Unless, the water source is the one poisoned?” He asked and he just thought something. “Is it the reason of the diseases here?”

“Let's go check it out.” Xiao Li said and they all run towards the well that they had been getting water to drink from. Even Mengxin followed them when she saw them walking fast like they just had something important to do.

Xiao Li scoop a water from the well and when the wooden pale is already brought up, Linxiu immediately checked and examine the water before she sighed. “This well is poisoned. Wude, inform the people not to take water from here and ask if there are other water source here where they are drinking so we can also check it if it is poisoned.”

Wude nodded and leave. While Mengxin speak. “So it was not a natural disease but a man made disease. Why? Why does the suspect wanted to make the people here suffer?”

“Since the man from the gate told us that they had no support from the palace since their sufferings started, I asked some people here about it and heard that before this disease started, a people from the palace wanted to make this a house of the Emperor Xinhe's favorite concubine but the people here isn't willing to leave and hold their ground so the Emperor's plan didn't happen and the people here also lost their support from the north Emperor. Could it be that it was the Emperor who did this?” Xiao Li said and he immediately think about it. Well there is a possibility that it was the Emperor's doing but they can't just pointed someone as a culprit without any proof.

“Maybe, maybe not. We'll just hope that we can find the antidote for the poison.” He said.

“That is why I can't seem to find it on the book of medicine. All in all, I've been looking on a wrong book. Don't worry, everyone, I will start looking at book of poisons if there are related symptoms in the books.” Mengxin said to all of them. They just all nodded and when Wude arrived telling them that there are also few water sources that the people is getting water, they immediately go there and check all of them. With the four water sources, all of the them are poisoned. Looks like the culprit really wanted to make everyone suffer in the city. It is a good thing the culprit isn't a poison expert or else, he or she would know that the poison they they put isn't too lethal that can kill a person in a seconds.